PDA

View Full Version : Finishing question

Jim Slovik
04-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Can I use Wipe-On Poly over Watco Danish oil?
Thanks,
Jim

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Jim I put wipe on poly over AO which is about the same as DO. The thing I found though is the DO must be dry and I mean dry or the poly will get sticky. I generally let my AO dry for 3 days to a week depending on humidity. The first time I waited 24 hrs and the poly got sticky. Then it is a mess taking it off with mineral spirits and then letting totally dry.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Jim - I used to use Watco Danish Oil and, as Bernie stated, as long as you allow the Watco to dry you can put poly over the top of it. If the Watco hasn't cured enough - everything gets gummy! Had that happen a few times and mineral spirits will remove it. Old Watco can cause the same gummy mess!

I eventually quit using the Watco after I found that the oil-based poly enhanced the wood just as well as the Natural Watco.

Jim Slovik
04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks Bernie. I put on three coats of the Danish Oil and it's been drying for about three days now. I'll give it a couple of more days just to be sure.
Thanks again,
Jim

Prashun Patel
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Generally not advisable to put hard finishes over soft ones. However, Danish oil will dry given enough time - especially if the wood's not particularly open grained, and you only put a couple coats on.

Poly's usually not a recommended choice for a top coat over existing finishes (except Dewaxed shellac). It is said that it doesn't like to stick to many things including itself. However, I did a bench a couple years ago that was Poly over D Oil, and it did not fail.

Why doya wanna do this anyway?

Jim Slovik
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Steve,
I'll have to give the oil based poly a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jim

Jim Slovik
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Shawn,
I like to use the Danish Oil and then Beall buff it. On this particular bowl, after I had already applied the DO, I decided that I might like a glossier finish. I thought that the Wipe-On Poly might do the trick. To tell the truth, I'm not very knowledgeable about finishes. I may be going about this the wrong way.
Jim

Prashun Patel
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I agree with the others. Let it dry and then go for it. You could also try shellac.

John Keeton
04-06-2010, 1:45 PM
Whenever in doubt, the safest way is to apply a good coat of shellac as a barrier coat. Generally speaking, dewaxed shellac will go over anything, and anything will go over dewaxed shellac.

Jim Slovik
04-06-2010, 3:52 PM
John,
It sounds like shellac would be a good insurance policy. I'm off to the hardware store right now to get some.
Thanks,
Jim

Curt Fuller
04-06-2010, 8:40 PM
I eventually quit using the Watco after I found that the oil-based poly enhanced the wood just as well as the Natural Watco.

I was about to say that even though you could put poly over the oil, there would be little point in using both. Unless you've already applied the oil and aren't satisfied with the finish. Just using wipe on poly alone pops the color in the wood and provides the poly finish as well or better than the combination of the two.