PDA

View Full Version : Blades made in the USA?

Kev Godwin
04-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Are there any makers of blades and/or bits still operating and employing people here in the USA?

I just was given some older unused blades that say "Made in the USA". Sure don't see that much any more.

Without making political comments and getting this thread deleted or locked, are there any left? Which ones? I would really like to know especially when I make future purchases. Thx.
Kev

John Michaels
04-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Based on a Google search looks like Forrest blades are made in the USA.

Don Selke
04-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Try Ridge Carbide Tool Corp. Excillent sharpening service as well.

Kev Godwin
04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Router bits, saw blades, band saw blades, drill bits, cutter heads....

Let's find out what is still here. I would put them in the front row to buy.
Kev

scott spencer
04-06-2010, 4:37 AM
Whiteside, Eagle America, Ridge Carbide, Forrest, DeWalt Precision Trim series, Delta Industrial line, Timberwolf bandsaw blades, the DML Golden Eagle blades, and I think some of the Infinity bits and/or blades are made in the USA.

Charley Foley
04-06-2010, 8:49 AM
A list of american tool and blade suppliers would make a nice Sticky....

Curt Harms
04-06-2010, 10:23 AM
AFAIK Infinity router bits are made in Tampa, FL at the former Jesada factory. Maybe David Venditto can chip in with yay or nay. I think their saw blades might be Italian imports, not sure.

joe milana
04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I have seen Dynamicsaw.com recomended here before. They have a very informative website worth checking out. I am going to send them a couple of blades and router bits to sharpen.

Brian Kent
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I appreciate this list folks!

In hand tools and plane blades - Hock tools, Lie Nielsen, Ron Brese, Mike Wenslof Hand saws, Czech Tools (no, really!), Blue Spruce.

Canada - Lee Valley

Rick Fisher
04-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I believe Morse Bandsaw blades are made in Ohio..

http://www.independenceband.com/company.html

I have used them plenty because our local saw shop handles their bands. Good quality product for sure..

Funny, I am Canadian. I recently purchased another Jessem Router lift and it being made in Canada was important to me. I tried to buy 12" General Canadian made Jointer about a year ago and was told that they where now discontinued due to a lack of demand.. General still makes the 16" machine. I was really bummed about that Jointer being discontinued, and could not justify the price of either. I do think we need to start supporting our local employers.. The world has gone global, so product made in Canada or the USA is now " locally made" to me.. Its shocking how hard it is to do, so much of our manufacturing is gone..

Rod Sheridan
04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
I know it's not USA, however FS Tools make high quality blades and cutters in Canada.

They also have US distributors..............Rod.

Tom Walz
04-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Whiteside, Southeast and Vortex all make beautiful router bits in the USA. Vortex may be the best there is in spiral router bits. Whiteside and Southeast are both well known from their rankings in Fine Woodworking and other magazines.

Rocky Mountain Twist Drills from Ronan Montana.

There are an awful lot of excellent saw blades made in the US. However they are made for industrial customers and don’t make their way into retail.

Tom

Rick Fisher
04-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I did not know that FS Tool was made in Canada. Are Jorgensen clamps made in the USA still ?

Rod Sheridan
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I did not know that FS Tool was made in Canada. Are Jorgensen clamps made in the USA still ?

Yeah, FS Tools are a 10 minute drive from my house, between them and Lee Valley (3 locations, one 10 minutes from home, the other 10 minutes from work) I'm constantly led astray:D.

Regards, Rod.

Sean Nagle
04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
AFAIK Infinity router bits are made in Tampa, FL at the former Jesada factory. Maybe David Venditto can chip in with yay or nay. I think their saw blades might be Italian imports, not sure.

I lost track of David's venture. I have a drawer-full of the Jesdada bits which have served me well. I have never heard of the Infinity brand mentioned on this forum though.

Heath Brandenburg
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Total Saw Solutions:
http://www.totalsawsolutions.com/index.htm

Can't seem to find much in the way of independent reviews on them.

Les Heinen
04-06-2010, 1:09 PM
+1 for a "Made in America" list of vendors posted as a sticky. I guarantee that most Creekers would take advantage of this whenever purchases are contemplated!

scott spencer
04-06-2010, 1:16 PM
I lost track of David's venture. I have a drawer-full of the Jesdada bits which have served me well. I have never heard of the Infinity brand mentioned on this forum though.

Sean - Everything I've seen and tried from Infinity has been stellar. Very nice blades and bits.

Kev Godwin
04-06-2010, 8:50 PM
Thanks for the info! I really like that idea of some sort of comprehensive list of "Made in the USA". Is Scott Spencer going to volunteer?:D
Kev

scott spencer
04-06-2010, 9:27 PM
Thanks for the info! I really like that idea of some sort of comprehensive list of "Made in the USA". Is Scott Spencer going to volunteer?:D
Kev

"Not me....not now"! :D

Myk Rian
04-06-2010, 9:30 PM
Supercut bandsaw blades. HF carries some.

Leigh Betsch
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I think Royce blades are made in Canada, I've got two and like them a lot. They fit in just right along side my 4 WWII's. I buy Canadian tools right along with USA.

Kevin Groenke
04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Don't forget about Onsrud: http://www.onsrud.com/

Onsrud Cutter is located in Libertyville, Illinois. It is the only router bit facility in the United States that manufactures high-speed steel, carbide tip, solid carbide and diamond coated router tooling.

Though I imagine many of the companies listed sell both domestic and imported product. It can be tough to know exactly where everything is coming from.

Scott T Smith
04-07-2010, 7:56 AM
Norseman Drill and Tool in St. Paul, MN makes some of the best drill bits in the US; the "Magnum Series Super Premium". Their primary market is metalworking; but they work just fine on wood.

You can buy them online from FairburyFastener.com

Gene Howe
04-07-2010, 8:15 AM
I just received 4 different sized carbide up cut spiral bits from MCLS. Brand name "KATANA". All four marked "MADE IN THE USA".