PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Have Cut It?

James Combs
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I recently got my hands on a piece of apple tree crotch. It has a beautiful pink center in it plus some spalting:D. (It has been lying in a wood pile for a few years.:eek:)

If you guys had this how would you cut/have cut it?

I made one plus cuts so far to give me two mirror halves (maybe wrong but it's done). One of the halves I have rounded into a bowl blank however, I believe that the pink coloring is mostly in the one still complete half. I would like to keep as much of the color vein in a turning as I possible could.:confused:

Edit: Oops forgot the photos see post below.

Richard Coers
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Really only one way to cut a crotch to get the high figure, and that is parallel to the branches. Cut it any other way and you get mostly plane figure with a narrow band of action in the middle.

James Combs
04-06-2010, 9:24 AM
Thanks Richard, it may have helped if I hadn't forgot to attach photos of the wood:rolleyes:. Check this out and see if it is what you are saying.

Really only one way to cut a crotch to get the high figure, and that is parallel to the branches. Cut it any other way and you get mostly plane figure with a narrow band of action in the middle.

Stephan Larson
04-06-2010, 9:36 AM
james,
I see you got that tablesaw together, hope it wasn't to expensive. Good luck on the crotch.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
James that is the way I cut crotches. Boy that sure does look more like box elder than apple but either way it sure is going to be pretty.

Frank Van Atta
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Boy that sure does look more like box elder than apple but either way it sure is going to be pretty.

That's what I thought, too.

Allen Neighbors
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Nice looking chunks of timber! That's the way I'd have cut it. Now, we're waiting on the finished pics. :D

Richard Coers
04-06-2010, 1:03 PM
Definitely box elder and that is how I cut them too.

John Keeton
04-06-2010, 1:29 PM
Nice wood - but nicer saw!! And, in one piece!;):D

David E Keller
04-06-2010, 8:20 PM
Definitely box elder and definitely nice!

James Combs
04-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Box Elder?? Hmmm, I'll double check with my friend that is the source. He said it was a section of one main trunk of an apple tree in his back yard that blew down. Two other trunks are still standing and they bear apples, not very good apples but apples.