PDA

View Full Version : Very dry and fire don't mix

Matt Ranum
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Too close for comfort today. About a mile away as the crow flies a guy was cutting some grass in the back part of his property when his mower caught on fire. Now, normally it wouldn't have been such a problem but its been extremely dry here this spring. I think we have had 2 days of rain all through March and I only plowed snow twice since the end of January.

He tried to fight it the best he could as his boy called 911. Took about 2 hours before it was contained to 15 acres. 7 fire departments responded. When it was all said and done it was about 1/2 mile from knocking on our doors. Luckily no buildings, homes or livestock perished.

I happened to be driving by right when the very first squad car got there to check things out. Its not a pleasant feeling in the pit of your stomach as you watch trees literally exploding into flames up in front of you as you realize the prevailing winds are headed to your home...and no fire fighters yet on the seen. Scary stuff.

I think I'll say an extra thank you to the man upstairs tonight.

Belinda Barfield
04-06-2010, 8:05 AM
Glad everything is okay, Matt. I volunteered several years ago at the command post when most of south Georgia burned. Fire has such awesome power. You're absolutely right, the sight of trees exploding and flames treetop high is something you won't soon forget.

Charlie Reals
04-06-2010, 8:32 AM
I know the feeling well Matt. Several times over the years I have said extra thanks for saving my place from wild fires. Fires have been close enough to feel the heat. It is an awesome sight to watch a fire crown out in 200ft tall trees. Momma nature has a lot of power. Glad you are ok. Charlie

Mark Kosmowski
04-06-2010, 8:41 AM
I always knew mowing the lawn was a bad thing to do.

Glad you and yours are all ok and that no one in your community was hurt either.