PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play A Game

Tom Mullane
11-11-2004, 4:28 PM
Called What the Heck is that wood I just turned... LOL
Here is a picture of a Cigar Pen I just turned from a piece of wood I found in my garage shop... I will not tell you what the wood came from until a few guesses are made... but it just shows that we will turn just about anything we find if it looks interesting... and this did... I really have no idea what this wood is... I have a hunch but that is about it... I am absolutely no good and blind identification of woods... all I know is that it turned out pretty and was a dream to cut and sand..

Dave Bartley
11-11-2004, 4:33 PM
It sure looks like Zebra Wood to me. Certainly an expert will come along and tell us though.

Beautiful work as usual tho.

Jim Becker
11-11-2004, 4:34 PM
No clue...but it's oustanding, especially with the gold kit!

Brad Schmid
11-11-2004, 4:40 PM
No idea, but it sure is cool, and now I want some :D

Tom Mullane
11-11-2004, 4:56 PM
OK I will give a hint.... the stock it came from is round and available in just about any hardware store... and I still have no idea of what it is.... one other thing... the color is not as bright a gold as the pic looks.. the scan came out brighter that I thought.. the wood is a bit duller gold, but still good looking..... I am going to have to find more of this stuff...
On another forum the guesses seem to run to quilted oak, but I have never seen any .... I do know it is not Zebra... I have turned a whole lot of that...

Michael Stafford
11-11-2004, 5:11 PM
Okay, here are my guesses- plumber helper wood, broom handle wood, extension paint roller wood, cheap hardwood dowel wood. One of those unlikely sources would be the most unbelievable places to find wood that beautiful...

How about birch or beech?

Gary Max
11-11-2004, 5:15 PM
Curly maple--------dowel rod

Brad Schmid
11-11-2004, 5:23 PM
I'll guess quilted ash...

Steve Stube
11-11-2004, 5:28 PM
Tiger Maple dowel is my guess. Until you mentioned hardware store I would have thought a piece of pallet material. I have seen some fine curly maple in pallets.

It is a beautiful pen.

Chris Padilla
11-11-2004, 5:57 PM
Old paint brush handle? Looks like there might be some spalt in it as well. How about hickory?

Tom Mullane
11-11-2004, 6:54 PM
Well, my wife informed me where the wood came from but I still have no idea of what it is...
The handles are hoe handles from the defunk Union Fork and Hoe Co. in Columbus Ohio.. fat lot of good that does me.. LOL...
But there are about 8 more of them in the garage and tomorrow I will be taking a long hard look at them... Right now they are being used for hot dog sticks for our annual family cookout... I told my wife that if any of them show any figure like the one I cut, the hot dog days are over for them...

John Shuk
11-11-2004, 9:08 PM
Well the curly is nice but judging by the weird grain pattern I would have to call it OAK. I have a small Oak burl that came from close to the base of the tree and it looks like that.

Mark Stutz
11-11-2004, 9:16 PM
Just knowing they were from old hoe handles, I would have guessed hickory, but I wouldn't expect it to be that gold in color. ?locust? ?osage orange?

Jim Schmoll
11-11-2004, 10:33 PM
My guess would be from a trunk of a brown oak tree. At about the root line with a lot of stress.

Jim from Idyllwild CA

Colleen Devine
11-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi, Tom,

I'd have to agree with Brad that it's ash. I recognize the grain and the pattern. I bought several hundred board feet from a man who had an approximately-150-year-old tree fall in his yard.

The boards are all rough sawn, so it's always exciting to find one that has this pattern.

Is it "Fiddleback" or "Curly"? I often see the names used interchangeably and I'm too "novice" to know what the subtle differences might be. In any case, the pattern in a board shimmers just like the back of, well, some musical instruments.

I'll try to post a picture sometime.

Regards,
Colleen

John Shuk
11-12-2004, 5:24 PM
Jim,
That is exactly where I got that small Oak "knob" that I have.