PDA

View Full Version : Framing nailer question

Louis Brandt
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
entry deleted

Bill May
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
pre-drill and screw it with good quality 3" deck screws. or just bite the bullet and hand nail it with 10d's if you don't have a framing nailer.

Louis Brandt
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks, but I don't want to use screws, and I don't want to do it by hand. I already have a good compressor, and I don't mind buying another nailer. My only question is, what gauge nailer should I be using to attach 2x4 to 2x4?
Louis

Bill May
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
honestly could'nt tell you the gauge of framing nails always have gone by lengths and mostly use 10d which are 3" for 2x to 2x and 8d which are 2 1/2" for sheathing and decking to 2x. the 2 guns i have are the pasolode cordless and hitachi nr83 full head framer

Fred Belknap
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
i would use framing nails as long as I could get without coming through the other side.

Jim Terrill
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Up until someone stole my Bostitch....see another thread I started.... it was my gun of choice. A framing nailer will be able to shoot a few different gauges of nails, it's not like a finish gun or a brad nailer where the gun can only shoot one gauge. My advice would be to get an N80 if you can find one used (craigslist) because they are nearly bombproof and go with 3" bright nails, can't give you the diameter I used, but you don't need huge diameter, since your application doesn't need huge shear strength. I always used Bostitch brand nails, I tried the generics and having the gun misfire a few times with how much power it has... it just wasn't worth the few $$ in savings. If you can't get the N80, the newer bostitch that lowes and HD sell is good, I just prefer the all-metal N80, but if you are just using it around your house it is less likely to get abused like on a job site.