PDA

View Full Version : what quality sand paper is best value

cody michael
04-05-2010, 9:07 PM
i am going to buy a starter kit from this site.

http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/Sanding_Starter_Kits.htm

which one will be best value the ceramic more expensive one that is supposed to last longer or the cheaper blue ones. the starter kits are pretty comparable in price but the extra pads the blue are cheaper and ceramic are 3-4 times as expensive will they last long enough to be worth it?

i want it for use on lathe, making bowls out of domestic hardwoods.

George Guadiane
04-05-2010, 9:12 PM
I use the blue ones on the kinds of woods you intend to turn... I like them. I haven't used the other, ask Vince, he'll tell you the truth. Either way, he makes money and he would much rather make a good friend and happy customer.

Steve Kubien
04-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Good advice from George. Ask Vince.

Reed Gray
04-06-2010, 12:39 AM
I did try one of the ceramic discs from him a while back, and don't consider it to be better than the blue stuff. I also tried the Norton Dry Ice, which is ceramic, and got the exact same amount of bowls (from same log, and same sizes) from each. I do have a set of the ceramic discs that Vince sent me, and I will get to them in about a week or so. Have to turn some more bowls first.

robo hippy

Jeff Nicol
04-06-2010, 4:31 AM
Cody, I have seen a lot of different grits of the 3-M ceramic papers on e-Bay and you can get a bunch pretty cheap most times. I have friends that work at 3M so they get me what I want for darn near nothing! I buy most all my hook and loop paper from this place: http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/holosaro.html They sell it in long rolls 4.5" wide in lots of grits and it lasts a long time. I also found that my local Fastenal store has the blue hook and loop in 5" sizes for about 70 cents a disc, I use them too I just cut them into 2" and 3" sizes. It seems every where I go I look for sandpaper and wood.......am I addicted!!!

Good luck with your sanding adventure!

Jeff

Jeff Fagen
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes Jeff,I can tell you are an addict because it takes one to know one.:)
Everywhere I go people are offering me wood.:D

Anthony Diodati
01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Old thread here, But is this sandpaper pretty good then?
4.5" wide, if making 2" disk's, you could get 2 out of a 2" long piece.
And they are 10 yards long. most are about $18.95 each.
Are these pretty much regular price like this all the time?

Cody, I have seen a lot of different grits of the 3-M ceramic papers on e-Bay and you can get a bunch pretty cheap most times. I have friends that work at 3M so they get me what I want for darn near nothing! I buy most all my hook and loop paper from this place: http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/holosaro.html They sell it in long rolls 4.5" wide in lots of grits and it lasts a long time. I also found that my local Fastenal store has the blue hook and loop in 5" sizes for about 70 cents a disc, I use them too I just cut them into 2" and 3" sizes. It seems every where I go I look for sandpaper and wood.......am I addicted!!!

Good luck with your sanding adventure!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2013, 12:24 AM
+1 for calling Vince. He changed my sanding routine which in turn has improved my sanding and he is extremely helpful.

John Keeton
01-17-2013, 6:48 AM
I buy all discs from Vince - the blue ones, and all my sheet sandpaper from onlineindustrialsupply.com (http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/abrasive-sheets.html) - the no load AO paper up to 320, and then the silicone wet/dry on finer grits. Averages around $.30/sht, and very good paper. I tear them in to 12 pieces, and typically will use a total of 8-10 pieces on a form, so my sanding cost is about $.25 per form. Wet sanding will provide a much better surface and prevents loading of the paper.

Anthony Diodati
01-17-2013, 7:00 PM
OK Thanks, I just ordered the 2" blue starter kit. also got some 320, don't know if I need it,
But I see a lot of people recommend 80-120-180-220-320- and 400. The 320 is missing in his blue disk sample line up.

Harry Robinette
01-17-2013, 8:52 PM
Cody
I'm not sure but try Bill Neddow web site. He just past away a couple months ago so his site may be down.Bill did an extensive sand paper study that was very informative may try it.

Michael Dromey
01-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Harry I just printed out his articles on sandpaper, high speed sanding and grinding wheels. I am looking forward to reading them.