PDA

View Full Version : Two new Segmented Bowls

Bill Bulloch
04-05-2010, 7:06 PM
Here are two bowls I finished this weekend.

The first one is Bloodwood and Yellowheart, 7 inch diameter and 5 inches high, has about 10 coat of Wipe-on High Gloss Poly. This thing really has a deep glossy finish, but for some reason it does not show in the photo.

The other is Brizilian Cherry and Curly Maple, 7 inch diameter and 6 inches high, has about 5 coats of Wipe-on High Gloss Poly.

What ya think??

Bill Bolen
04-05-2010, 7:27 PM
Beauties both Bill. One of these days I gotta try that...Bill...

David E Keller
04-05-2010, 8:14 PM
They're both nice. I prefer the shape of the first one for some reason, and I absolutely love bloodwood... I'll bet when you turn that piece in your hands it glows.

Robert McGowen
04-05-2010, 8:20 PM
As much as I have commented about lining up the ring joints, I finally get to say "GREAT JOB ON THE RING ALIGNMENT!" I really like the bloodwood bowl. The shape is pleasing and the feature ring stands out, but is not overbearing. Excellent work.

The cherry and maple shape seems off and the feature ring looks a bit high on the form, but once again "GREAT JOB ON THE RING ALIGNMENT!"

What did you do this time to make sure everything came together?

Steve Mawson
04-05-2010, 8:34 PM
Like them both but the Bloodwood would be my favorite.

Roland Martin
04-05-2010, 8:43 PM
Really nice turnings Bill. I definitely like the bloodwood/yellowheart turning the best. I just think the form, the combination of woods and the details awesome. Although a very nice turning, the second one just does'nt have the impact of the first.

John Keeton
04-05-2010, 8:46 PM
Bill, I vote with the majority on this one! This bloodwood is the better piece, and for much of the reasons stated. I also think the wood combo is better. Did you use some veneer in a couple of the layers?

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2010, 9:00 PM
Excellent work Bill! Really like the first one because it reminds me of the Southwestern style seed pots - one of my favorite forms!

Nice work! Really nice!

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2010, 9:30 PM
Those are beauties Bill. Really excellent pieces.

Bill Bulloch
04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Did you use some veneer in a couple of the layers?

Yes, Black, dyed veneer.

Bill Bulloch
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
As much as I have commented about lining up the ring joints, I finally get to say "GREAT JOB ON THE RING ALIGNMENT!" I really like the bloodwood bowl. The shape is pleasing and the feature ring stands out, but is not overbearing. Excellent work.

The cherry and maple shape seems off and the feature ring looks a bit high on the form, but once again "GREAT JOB ON THE RING ALIGNMENT!"

What did you do this time to make sure everything came together?

Thanks Robert.

I put the feature ring high on purpose. My intent was to make a sharp curve and lay it back to show off the curly maple. But, I didn't cut the length of the segment long enough to accomplish this, so this is what I ended up with. Learning from my mistakes.

I didn't do any thing different this time, except pay closer attention to the details.

Richard Madison
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
In segmenting the "details" are almost everything, and there may be two or three to try to pay attention to at the same time. Ditto what Robert said. Excellent joinery and alignment.

Mike Golka
04-06-2010, 9:05 AM
Very nice work, keep 'em coming.

Jim Slovik
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I like both of them. Beautiful work.
Jim

Paul Douglass
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
All I can say is WOW! Segmenting is what I want to do when I grow up! Beautiful work.

Lori Kleinberg
04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Bill, those bowls are beautiful. I especially like the first one. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Podsedly
04-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Bill,

Very nice bowls.

When creating the segments, are they the side grain of the wood or top?

Soon will be venturing into the segment vortex! :-)

jim

Bill Bulloch
04-06-2010, 2:44 PM
Bill,

Very nice bowls.

When creating the segments, are they the side grain of the wood or top?

Soon will be venturing into the segment vortex! :-)

jim

Normally, segments are glued end grain to end grain to make up a ring, which makes for a very weak joint. Rings are then glued together long grain to long grain and the joints are staggered creating a strong bond.

Come on in the water is fine.

Mark Hubl
04-06-2010, 4:39 PM
Both are very nice. The work is great. I do prefer the shape and color of the first. One of these days I am going to have to go segmental.

Steve Cuthbert
04-06-2010, 5:30 PM
Yes, Black, dyed veneer.

Hi Bill
Interested in how you dye veneer deep enough to be still there when its turned??. I tried the vinegar and iron trick on some oak veneer but it only penetrated about 1/32" which could easily be turned away.
Regards
Steve

Bill Bulloch
04-06-2010, 6:02 PM
Hi Bill
Interested in how you dye veneer deep enough to be still there when its turned??. I tried the vinegar and iron trick on some oak veneer but it only penetrated about 1/32" which could easily be turned away.
Regards
Steve

Bought it commercially: http://grizzly.com/products/Sequenced-Matched-Figured-Dyed-Black-Veneer-3-sq-ft-/T20403

Doug Reesor
04-07-2010, 6:11 PM
Very Nice Work!!

Doug

Frank Van Atta
04-07-2010, 6:35 PM
Two very nicely done pieces. I, too, like the first one better even recurved bowls are one of my favorite shapes. I'm just not wild about the foot, and think it would look better without one. JMO.