PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry chest, your critiques please...

Michael Stafford
11-11-2004, 3:55 PM
With all the talk about design and originality currently taking place I will be the first guinea pig.

Attached are some pictures of a jewelry chest that I designed for entry into a contest. It is made from mahogany and walnut. It is 10 1/2" from front to back including the handles, 10" tall including the feet, and 10" wide including the legs.

Now at your mercy I ask for your critiques about design, proportions, wood choices, finish etc. I have already been reamed by my local art gallery critic so I am forever crushed :o :p :rolleyes:

Seriously, I would appreciate your comments.

George Tokarev
11-11-2004, 4:10 PM
What didn't s/he like about it? I could maybe manage a mean comment out of jealousy, but that's about it. Looks classy.

One of my chief beefs with the paint-splashing set is their penchant for considering themselves the font of all art knowledge. Had one of my turnings at a "critique" session once, designed to teach us what juries want, and I still remember our art and design department head's comment. "It's got more than one center of interest." Teach me to use figured wood.

So far as I know, she hasn't been in any local exhibits or shows in twenty years.

Donnie Raines
11-11-2004, 4:11 PM
I like it..even though its not Shaker.... :rolleyes:

Really, there is a design element to it that is very unique....that really makes it a one of a kind.

Guy Boulianne
11-11-2004, 4:25 PM
My anticipation: reading the dimensions in the description, I tought "It's a cube, it must look like a Cube.... like beefy"....

My reaction: when looking at the picture "Wow, it does not at all look like a cube, or beefy", it must be choice of the wood: the grain, the accents, the contrast... the lines: not so linear, the feet, the drawers....

It's looks real nice to me, a lot better balanced than my "cude" anticipation.

Good work.

Jim Stastny
11-11-2004, 4:26 PM
Nicely done. I'm a big fan of mixing wood species when properly combined. You did a good job. I'm wondering, what style would you call it. I see it as something between Art Nouveau and Art Deco.

Jim Becker
11-11-2004, 5:27 PM
Mike, it's outstanding. I really like it...I bet it will do really well in the event, too!!

Some creative ideas for the next versions...

Considering making the entire front (drawer faces) out of one board so there is continuous grain and color top to bottom and consider a darker wood for the legs and and accents for more contrast. Ebony or another blackwood would be wonderful with that mahogany as walnut will get lighter over time and reduce any initial contrast. (The opposite of most woods) You might also try a version without the stripe on the top.

Make some miniatures out of inexpensive wood (just blocks cut to shape without and "inside") and experiment using paint or Pismacolor markers to find out what works...this is a technique that many turners use to experiment with forms and is a great way to play with the form of an artistic piece like this wonderful jewelry case!

One other thing you can try with the design is to get a wide 6/4 or 8/4 board and make the front and sides be radiused as well as continuous in grain as a wrap-around. The only break in the pattern then is the legs which is an intended effect.

John Gregory
11-11-2004, 5:30 PM
I think it looks great. Both design and execution.

Dennis Peacock
11-11-2004, 5:40 PM
Very, Very Nice!!! I like the deisgn and function of the piece. Very well thought out and excellently executed. :D

Kevin Arceneaux
11-11-2004, 5:40 PM
Nice. I like the style of it.

I always take what critics say about things with a grain of salt - how many times have a "critically acclaimed" films been stinkers? And how many 1 star films been funny? The same with TV and all the others - I just cannot understand why everyone thinks "Arrested Development" is funny. I think it is dumber than ..........

Chris Padilla
11-11-2004, 5:49 PM
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...."

Some nimrod said that...guess what they thought of him in his time.... ;)

Scott Coffelt
11-11-2004, 5:49 PM
I like it.... heck with the critics. Never met one I liked anyways. My only issue may be what is lined int he drawers...mainly I don't know what it is. But I might have suggested using the same wood.

Chris Padilla
11-11-2004, 6:16 PM
I actually like the turquoise-colored felt (?)...it really pops! :)

Fred Chan
11-11-2004, 7:04 PM
That's a great looking box! The designs definately out of the ordinary. I agree with the comment about using one board for the front for grain continuity. My only suggestion would be to use similar shaped legs for the rear to give it a balanced look.:)

Michael Stafford
11-11-2004, 7:29 PM
First let me say what my art critic said- Sorta looks like a horse trailer without the wheels and fenders. It is too deep front to back. It looks dark and foreboding. It needs a second set of legs like the ones on the front so that the back does not appear to be floating. It would look better lined in brown.

I have learned not to cry in this guy's presence...

I asked him what he liked about it. He said it was beautifully finished, felt like polished glass and overall was very nice.

Why did you say so many negative things at the beginning I asked. He said you want to improve don't you? INDEED I do. You see he wanted me to look at it critically.

How interesting that some of you saw some of the same things and maybe did not express them as bluntly. I really appreciate the wonderful feedback and supportive criticism. Jim those were great comments and excellent ideas.

By the way, the front was made from a single board but somehow I managed to get the pieces out of order at some point and did not realize it until it was too late. :o Drawer fronts 2 and 3 from top should be switched. :o

Anyway, I hope you all can see how wonderful constructive criticism can be and I am serious in saying I appreciate your feedback.

I'll go cry in a dark corner now... :D

Jim Becker
11-11-2004, 7:38 PM
By the way, the front was made from a single board but somehow I managed to get the pieces out of order at some point and did not realize it until it was too late.Doh!!! I hate when that happens!! :eek: :D (Been there, done that...more than once...):rolleyes:

Betsy Yocum
11-11-2004, 7:47 PM
Mike - I'd be proud to have your box on my dresser! I think its fabulous!!

Betsy

Aaron Heck
11-11-2004, 7:57 PM
Very very nice. I only hope I can make something like that someday.

Ted Shrader
11-11-2004, 8:05 PM
Jim -

That is a very elegant design. Some possible improvements: Add a leg in the back similar to the front leg, but of mahogany; Move the contrasting walnut piece in the top forward to coincide with the front lags and make them out of the same material - walnut; Change the handles to another, darker wood.

Well done,
Ted

Steve Clardy
11-11-2004, 8:10 PM
That's a very nice box.:)
I believe I would shorten it some. Maybe leave out one drawer. A little tall looking to me.
Steve

Allen Grimes
11-11-2004, 8:13 PM
First let me say what my art critic said- Sorta looks like a horse trailer without the wheels and fenders. It is too deep front to back. It looks dark and foreboding. It needs a second set of legs like the ones on the front so that the back does not appear to be floating. It would look better lined in brown.

I have learned not to cry in this guy's presence...

I asked him what he liked about it. He said it was beautifully finished, felt like polished glass and overall was very nice.

Why did you say so many negative things at the beginning I asked. He said you want to improve don't you? INDEED I do. You see he wanted me to look at it critically.

How interesting that some of you saw some of the same things and maybe did not express them as bluntly. I really appreciate the wonderful feedback and supportive criticism. Jim those were great comments and excellent ideas.

By the way, the front was made from a single board but somehow I managed to get the pieces out of order at some point and did not realize it until it was too late. :o Drawer fronts 2 and 3 from top should be switched. :o

Anyway, I hope you all can see how wonderful constructive criticism can be and I am serious in saying I appreciate your feedback.

I'll go cry in a dark corner now... :D
You know, I actually like that about those, guys. They say how they feel. But, what they feel isn't necisarily right. To them it is of course. But the real question is, how do you feel about it? In the end thats all thats all that really matters. YOU made it, YOU designed it. I know other people praising your work feels good and makes you feel better about it. But unless you're trying to sell it, you should only be worried about pleasing yourself, compliments are just a bonus.

BTW, I actually like the fact that it only has legs in the front, it adds to the weirdness. Weird isn't bad.

Ted Shrader
11-11-2004, 8:17 PM
Or.... Forget the second leg on the side at the rear and make a single leg up the middle of the back. Tripod effect.

Ted

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-11-2004, 8:35 PM
In MHO Your unique design is very interesting. I like it.

Since you said that you made the front out of one piece, taking into account the swap of drawer two and three, if you cut the wood you will lose some of the grain---- no way around it! You might think about using some contrasting wood at the drawer joints. It would still let the grain flow, but allow for the missing grain.

In turnings, we make a detail where the top of a box comes into contact with the bottom, so the missing wood isn't as noticable.

Just an OLD mans ramblings.

Bruce

Lars Thomas
11-11-2004, 9:35 PM
I'm with Jim, I think I would prefer a little more contrast between the two woods. I also agree with the 'Professional Critic' (who isn't) regarding the lining. Brown or burgundy would have been a bit more to my liking.

But overall, I think it looks great. Certainly it is built beautifully. Lars

Oh, and thanks for being the guinea pig!

Keith Christopher
11-11-2004, 10:39 PM
A while back I was told "If you love something you cannot judge it's value or beauty."

This is so true for most people, it's good to have a critic take a hard line and an impartial look at your work. It's tough to put your soul to bear only to have it struck down. I have to agree I believe for symmetry's sake the front and rear legs should have been the same. I really like it and the craftsmanship is excellent (well 'cept for the out of order thing. Oh I have NEVER -uh yeah right- done that.) I do have to agree the critic had some excellent points and this will make your designs get better and better.

Kurt Aebi
11-12-2004, 8:41 AM
First off, I Really, Really like the design and hope you fair well in the competition. (I would vote for it!)

Enhancements? (My ideas, like if I was ordering one from you - what I would like to change.)

The sides are veritcal grain and the front is horizontal - make them each the same (either both vertical or horizontal) for clean-ness (not a real word, just gives a good idea of thought) all the way around.

I think a small band (1/16" or so) of a light wood (Maple maybe?) between the Walnut and Mahogany to break things up a bit and I think it would look cool.

Maybe having the feet on the back part of the cabinet be the same as the front.

The drawer lining: My preference would be burgandy shade of red. The natural stone (Aquamarine) is really a neat touch, just not my cup of tea.

Like I said "enhancements" are what I would suggest for MY tastes if I was ordering one from you.

Overall, I think you have done an excellent job of design and I really think that Mark Singer would give you a Big Thumbs Up as your design "Honors" the wood you chose both in function and eye apeal.

Great Job & The Kleenex is in the mail (even though you certainly have NOTHING to cry about on this one!)

Mike Johnson - Chicago
11-12-2004, 11:05 AM
"By the way, the front was made from a single board but somehow I managed to get the pieces out of order at some point and did not realize it until it was too late. Drawer fronts 2 and 3 from top should be switched"

I'm glad you mentioned this, as my feedback/critique was going to be that the front feels out of sorts. For me, a piece always feels more "calm" and finished when the grain is "right".

Relative to M.Singer's design post, this "calm" from the grain is something I have not been able to get out of my head since reading Krenov's books. His work has such a complete balanced feel that it really "takes a genreal design to another level".

One interesting side note on this, is that you can also over do this. For me a starburst veneer match is too contrived. Yet, resawing a board to make a 4 corner match for a box makes it feel like it came from nature.

In conclusion, if I were to change anything about your chest, it would be to have made the front of the box out of a single wide board (and kept the pieces in order :) to maintain the feel of a single growth of wood.

Regards,
M.J.

P.S. Great finsih BTW. It invites you to want to touch it...

George Summers
11-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Mike -

I had posted a couple of weeks ago, asking about peoples' favorite finishes for mahogany. I like the way yours came out, how did you finish yours?

George

Michael Stafford
11-12-2004, 1:56 PM
George and all the rest of you that made so many positive comments and suggestions. I really appreciate that you took the time to think about my project and suggest improvements.

One thing is for sure, if I implemented all of the suggestions from the SMC design committee I would end up with a 3-legged, 4-drawered, purple lined people eater. :eek: I will consider each suggestion the next time I build this or a similar design. I do intend to build another one just so I can improve this one.

George, finishing mahogany to answer your question. I am probably not the best one to ask since I don't use fillers, dyes, stains or any other recommended finishing techniques. Usually I select a piece of wood in planed state and decide if I like how it looks by wiping it down with mineral spirits. If I like how it looks wet then I will like it finished.

For finishing I make fresh for every project a 20% BLO, 20% tung oil, 20% urethane and 40% mineral spirits mixture. Really nothing more than a good wiping oil/varnish that penetrates and builds with each subsequent coat. I used at least 6 coats on this piece, maybe more. Sanded between coats with very fine grades of steel wool (7000 grit equivalent) and non-abrasive woven pads. Then after thorough drying I buff on Beall system. Usually gives a great depth of finish, warm lustrous shine. Touchable...

Once again thanks for all the nice comments and positive feedback and design ideas. :)

Dave Brandt
11-12-2004, 2:52 PM
I actually like the turquoise-colored felt (?)...it really pops! :)

I'm with Chris on this beauty. The turquoise really does pop. I suppose it's too bad that the drawers got mixed up, but I like that too! Who says everything's gotta look like one piece of wood. And I love the flowing shape. Nice job!