PDA

View Full Version : Cedar oil characteristics

Karl Card
04-05-2010, 6:52 PM
I bought my first can of cedar oil and got it open and wow,,, it stunk worse than anything has ever stunk before... It smells just like the can... no cedar smell to it whatsoever... Is this normal? I went ahead and applied it to a small piece of cedar and needless to say it never has started to smell like cedar...

any input on this subject would be just awesome.

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2010, 7:23 PM
I bought my first can of cedar oil and got it open and wow,,, it stunk worse than anything has ever stunk before... It smells just like the can... no cedar smell to it whatsoever... Is this normal? I went ahead and applied it to a small piece of cedar and needless to say it never has started to smell like cedar...

any input on this subject would be just awesome.

I didn't even know they made cedar oil for wood. Can you tell me where you bought it and what brand?

Dave Lehnert
04-05-2010, 8:32 PM
I didn't even know they made cedar oil for wood. Can you tell me where you bought it and what brand?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=3899

David Gregory
04-05-2010, 8:47 PM
If you want cedar oil, may I suggest you try a health food/natural living store, or you may want to do a Google search? I'd recommend you buy cedar "essential" oil and make sure you're getting 100% pure stuff. Most of the cheaper brands are cut with almond oil or even water. Here's one link for you:
http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils/cedar-atlas-essential-oil.html

Give it a try keeping in mind the old adage, YMMV.

Cody Colston
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure what true Cedar Oil smells like.

Aromatic Cedar (Eastern Red Cedar) is actually in the Juniper family. That fact has been mentionod on every woodworking forum every time the subject of ERC is mentioned. In addition, Western Red Cedar is actually a Cypress.

I've read that Alaskan Cedar does not have a pleasant odor. Then there's White Cedar, Port Orford Cedar, Spanish Cedar...probably lots of Cedars with different aromas.

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=3899

Thanks, but I did google it as soon as I saw the post. Found that source as well as many others. I wonder what the OP bought?

Karl Card
04-05-2010, 11:32 PM

got it at woodcraft and the brand is giles and kendal it states on the back of the can "100 percent natural oil of eastern redcedar wood

Karl Card
04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure what true Cedar Oil smells like.

Aromatic Cedar (Eastern Red Cedar) is actually in the Juniper family. That fact has been mentionod on every woodworking forum every time the subject of ERC is mentioned. In addition, Western Red Cedar is actually a Cypress.

I've read that Alaskan Cedar does not have a pleasant odor. Then there's White Cedar, Port Orford Cedar, Spanish Cedar...probably lots of Cedars with different aromas.

the can specifically states eastern redcedar wood... so I would assume that is eastern redcedar, not spanish, not western, not alaskan etc..