PDA

View Full Version : Angle Iron

Rick Markham
04-05-2010, 6:45 PM
I am building a outfeed table for my table saw, do they sell angle iron at the BORG (what section would it be in)? If not, where should I look for angle iron locally? Thanks y'all!!!

Charles Krieger
04-05-2010, 7:02 PM
Yes they do sell angle iron and aluminum also. Look in the hardware department as a first try. The customer service at my local BORG has improved so I might even ask an employee! There are iron suppliers listed in the yellow pages also.

Derek Noel
04-05-2010, 7:07 PM
There is usually a very small (look for a 4'x4' section near the hardware) section in all the stores that has pre cut 1',2' and 4' lengths of various shapes, seams like LX2X2X1/4 was the biggest i found in angle iron. I was thinking of building a new fence for my saw but got sticker shock when i found out how proud they were of thier little bits of steel. :)
I asked some Pipe fitters i work with where i could get a better deal and they gave ma a local supplier they said would be reasonable and handle any size order. I still haven't gone around to getting any yet though.
good luck

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2010, 7:16 PM
If the project is small, buying from the big box stores isn't so bad. But if you need more that a few feet, angle iron comes in 20' foot lengths for much less from steel suppliers. They usually will cut it down so you can fit it in your vehicle. I googled this steel supplier in Lakeland:

Mine and Mill Industrial Supply Co.
2500 South Combee Road Lakeland, FL 33801
Phone: 800-282-8489, 863-665-5601

I would try them out after you know how much you need and how much it would cost at the big bix.

Neil Brooks
04-05-2010, 7:39 PM
Yup.

The HD near me sells threaded rod, bar stock, and angle in the same place. They should be able to point you toward it.

We also have a metal shop, in our 100k person town, so ... they can't be too rare. Any kind of iron or metal can be bought there. NO idea if they're cheaper than the HD, but ... might be a fall-back plan.

Good luck!

Matt Meiser
04-05-2010, 8:15 PM
The BORG or hardware store is probably the most expensive place in the world to buy steel. You'll save a lot if you can find a steel supplier. I buy a lot of mine at Alro Metals Plus (http://www.alro.com/SECLocations/locationlist.cfm) which is based here in Michigan, but has some Florida locations as well. They stock "drops" which are to metal what shorts are to wood. Like buying shorts, the savings from buying drops is significant. As an example, I just bought some 2" square tube for $15 a 10'-ish length.

Rick Markham
04-05-2010, 8:24 PM
Thanks Y'all! I think I will bypass the BORG and go with Eric's research (Thanks by the way) I guess I will be making a call to them in the morning. I really only need a 4ft piece. Now for the next question... What is a good drill bit to drill holes in the angle iron with, something that won't break the bank, and my drill press. what RPM should I shoot for for say a 1/2" hole. I appreciate y'alls help, I'm shooting for an outfeed table similar to what you have made Eric.

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-05-2010, 8:29 PM
I buy a bit of specialty metals from here. Great prices, if the shipping doesn't kill you. http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Bruce Wrenn
04-05-2010, 8:34 PM
Another (read cheaper) option is old bed rails. They can be had at most dumps, thrift stores, and beside the street on trash day. Because they are spring steel*, a bi-metal blade is the best to use when cutting them. A SHARP bit will drill them with no problem, though a "cobalt" one would probably be better. * The reason they are spring steel is to resist bending when a couple of 300#'s are making whoopie.

Jamie Buxton
04-05-2010, 8:42 PM
... Now for the next question... What is a good drill bit to drill holes in the angle iron with, something that won't break the bank, and my drill press......

You might want to buy stuff often called slotted angle. It is angle iron with holes already punched in it. No drilling needed! HD sells a four foot piece for $10 or so.

Alan Schaffter
04-05-2010, 8:52 PM
Why do they call it angle iron? It is actually steel.

Go to a local welding or metal fabrication shop. They will usually sell it to you at a better price and have more selection than other sources. Once you are done with the cutting, they can weld it for you.

I used a combination of bolt-together and welded parts when I rebuilt the right extension table and mobile base on my Uni.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P5110013.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P5220039.JPG

Rick Markham
04-05-2010, 8:56 PM
Thanks Bruce, I never realized that about bed frames... hmmm think the GF/ LOML will mind me taking the sawsall to the bed frame? I guess that would be motivation for me to finish that building a bed project I have been working on lol. I will definitely check out the slotted steel too, never hurts to explore all the options. Though I will still have to drill into the steel legs of my contractor saw anyway... but less holes, is less work :cool:

Rick Markham
04-05-2010, 9:07 PM
Wow, I dig your saw Alan! Maybe one day I will have the space for a Cabinet saw with a set up like that (hopefully) till then I am relegated to my 1 3/4 HP table saw. (though it has served it's purposes admirably for many years) but a fold down outfeed table would make it a dream come true, I am tired of messing around with rollers and outfeed stands (nothing but a PITA)

Joe Chritz
04-05-2010, 9:34 PM
Here is but one speed chart

http://www.raygirling.com/dpspeed.htm

A little oil or cutting lube will help but isn't needed for a hole or two. Any standard twist drill will cut the steel fine. A36 (which is normally "standard" angle) isn't hard to drill.

Second on finding a welding shop or real steel supplier.

Joe

Derek Noel
04-05-2010, 9:42 PM
Why do they call it angle iron? It is actually steel.

Ask an iron worker.... who usually works with steel:)

Adam Strong
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Keep an eye out for discarded bed frames... I have about a dozen or so stock-piled behind my shed. I use them for all sorts of welding projects with angle iron. Apartment complexes are a great place to find them.

Nothing beats free!

Steve Kohn
04-06-2010, 9:46 AM
Keep an eye out for discarded bed frames... I have about a dozen or so stock-piled behind my shed. I use them for all sorts of welding projects with angle iron. Apartment complexes are a great place to find them.

Nothing beats free!

Especially apartment complexes in college towns the weekend before graduations. DAMHIK.

Rick Markham
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Absolutely Adam, free is the best price! Good thinking on the Apartment complex idea!

Brett Nelson
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't know. I always call it angle steel, but I get weird looks sometimes. I give a few weird looks too when someone actually calls angle aluminum "angle iron". Catch all phrase I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, you'll be looking at about $0.45/lb right now at a supplier. If you wanna spend a little $$, you could consider building it with T-slots aluminum. Beautiful to work with and very light for the strength, but not cheap.

Chip Lindley
04-06-2010, 3:41 PM
It all comes from Iron Ore! *Angle Iron* was originally iron from rolling mills before it became steel, with additives like carbon, nickel, maganese, chromium or vanadium for increased strength and resistance to oxidation.

*Angle steel* sounds kinda funny! So does, *aluminum angle iron*! Say angle iron and everybody knows what you mean. Same, if you call it aluminum angle, tee, zee, or channel.

I have never seen any steel shapes other than 36" long at Borgs or hardware stores. All my steel shapes are junk! Either from a local country scrap dealer, or from somewhere along the railroad. Presently I pay 25 cents a pound for steel angle iron or other shapes. Wayy cheaper than new material from a supplier.