PDA

View Full Version : New to turning

Allen Hinton
04-05-2010, 6:22 PM
Hello, I just purchased a JET 1642 off craigslist so I can turn the occasional table leg if needed. I also just got a Grizzly 10" wet grinder from Ebay. My question is what Tormek jigs should I get to sharpen chisels, gouges, parting tools with? My first instinct is to get the Tormek TNT-708 Woodturner's Kit but that is pretty pricey. Can I get by with just the Tormek SVS-50 Jig that will sharpen gouges and parting tools? Long question short, what is the minimum I need to sharpen all my turning tools effectively?

Thanks for any help.

John Keeton
04-05-2010, 8:27 PM
Allen, welcome to the spinny side!! I haven't been turning very long, but when I researched SMC on the topic of sharpening lathe tools, it seems the overwhelming majority of turners here use a slow speed grinder (probably not critical with HSS tools) and the OneWay Wolverine setup with the original Vari-grind jig. That is what I have and all I use.

I know what the Tormek is, but I am not aware of who uses it for lathe tools. Seems it would be better suited for other tool edges.

Woodcraft often has their slow speed grinder on sale, and sometimes packaged with the Wolverine setup.

Steve Mawson
04-05-2010, 8:30 PM
Welcome Allen, don't have a Tormek but believe some on here do so perhaps they will join in. Anyway glad to have you so show us some of your work sometime.

Gary Conklin
04-05-2010, 8:45 PM
Hello, I just purchased a JET 1642 off craigslist so I can turn the occasional table leg if needed.

That is how alot of Darksiders start out, welcome to the vortex!!!

alex carey
04-05-2010, 9:00 PM
the minimum you need to sharp all your tools effectively is an 8" grinder, with some high grit wheels and if you need a little help then the Oneway wolverine setup.

I personally, and many other turners, prefer to sharpen without any setup. If you can learn this way and get good it worth it, it cuts down on setup time.

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2010, 9:05 PM
Allen - Welcome to the Vortex!

Great lathe! Lot of us here have that same lathe and really enjoy using it!

Everyone has their own way to sharpen but a lot of us have the Wolverine system with a 8" slow speed grinder. Nothing is set in stone - it's just a lot faster than a lot of other methods and allows you to get back to turning!

Allen Hinton
04-05-2010, 9:21 PM
Thanks all, for the replies. I had never heard of the Wolverine Grinding Jig. I googled it and liked what I saw. I may even make my own, it seems simple enough.

Thanks again, Allen

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2010, 9:23 PM
Welcome to SMC Allen. I have the Tormek sharpening system and I bought the woodturners kit. It will do everything you need to sharpen for turning. I don't think you could get by with just the one at least in my opinion.

Jeff Farris
04-07-2010, 9:26 AM
Allen,

To keep all your turning tools shaped and sharpened in a manner consistent with the current "state of the art" in woodturning, the TNT-708 is the way to go. What I mean is that with the full kit, there's nothing that I know of in terms of specialty gouge profiles or specialty skew profiles or other turning tool sharpening that you can't accomplish.

That said, if you're trying to "stick your toe in the water" of turning, the SVS-50 is a pretty big bang for your buck. It will put a normal straight across grind on any gouge, will sharpen skews and will sharpen parting tools. You will not be able to do fingernail grinds, and other parts of the TNT-708 package shorten the learning curve and speed up the repetitive set up process.

There's nothing in the "kit" that you can't buy individually, so if you want to buy it a piece at a time, go for it. If you add it all up and compare, the savings in buying the kit is significant, but not enough to make it a huge mistake to buy it a piece at a time.

Bill Bolen
04-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I use the 185 on all gouges and the 50 for skews. For scrapers I much prefer the dry grinder. It takes about 5 seconds to sharpen a scraper and be back to work...Bill..

Don Geiger
04-07-2010, 3:36 PM
If you already own a Tormek and want to use conventional jigs, such as the Wolverine Vari-Grind and/or the Ellsworth jig or others, I have a system that enbales you to do so on a Tormek and/or a bench grinder.

Send me a private message and I'll tell you more.

Don Geiger

Sean Hughto
04-07-2010, 6:22 PM
I have a 1642 and love it. As for grinding turning tools, a wet grinder is typically a good bit slower than a conventional grinder especially in things with large bevels like skews.