PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic switch/starter wigging out.

Glen Butler
04-05-2010, 6:20 PM
My PM2000 will not turn on. I believe it is the magnetic starter. Is there any way to diagnose it or anything I can look at that is a common problem?

Ray Newman
04-05-2010, 6:40 PM
Unplug the saw, then remove the switch cover and blow it out with compressed air. Next tighten all wire connections. Sometimes a wire connection works loose or a sawdust buildup keeps things from working smoothly

If that doesn't rectify the problem, remove the switch and take it to an electrical supply house/electricl shop and have it checked.

Since I am no electrician, I label each wire with masking tape and number before taking it apart, then I take a digital picture as a visual aid for re-assembly.

Charles Krieger
04-05-2010, 6:50 PM
Is your saw still under PM's warranty? If so I would give them a call. My experience with service on my PM2000 was excellent.

Glen Butler
04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I bought it used. It was manufactured in 2006. Are warranties transferrable?

I took it apart and gave it a quick check. It fired up so I put it back together, but it still is tempermental. I will give it a more thorough check some other day. Hopefully I doesn't cost me too much.

Pete Bradley
04-05-2010, 11:03 PM
The behavior you're describing is consistent with dirty contacts. You can unplug the saw and clean them (they'll look like little metal buttons on a spring-loaded device that snaps them together) with fine sandpaper.

There are other possibilities of course, but this is a good bet for your setup.

Charles Krieger
04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
The Powermatic warranty clearly states that only the original purchaser is covered by the warranty.