PDA

View Full Version : Quarter sawn Hard Maple

Dick Howard
11-11-2004, 2:59 PM
I ripped some 3/4x2" hard maple to 3/8x2". When done I had nice barrel staves. Not what i want. Is there any way to straighten these so they will stay fairly straight. Thanks, Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Donnie Raines
11-11-2004, 3:12 PM
Dick,

Sounds like there was some tension released when you ripped the boards. Most likey, there is nothing you can do to fix that.....although sometimes they will sping back into place. Place them on a flat surface, with some stickers to allow for air flow around the wood. Give it a few days and see what happens

Keith Christopher
11-11-2004, 3:13 PM
Ahhh stress in wood at it's best.

I did the same thing when making the mutins for the mission mirror I made. I ripped a 3/4" down to 3/8 by taking all the material off of one side and ended up with a longbow. Unless you have time to steam it and press it flat for a while -which may now work- you need new lumber.

Scott Banbury
11-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Which way did they spring? Away from the kerf at the ends or towards it?

If they sprang away, the wood is wetter on the inside than the outside and they may straighten out if you expose the wetter (inside) side to sun or lamps.

If they sprang in (pinched), the wood could be drier on the inside and may straighten out if dried or it could be casehardened, in which case you should consider making a barrel. ;)

Dick Howard
11-12-2004, 6:09 PM
Donnie,

Im trying stickering and clamping them straight. Will leave set a couple of weeks to see if it does any good.

Keith,

Just my luck pieces were'nt long enough for a longbow. Had half the board left, so planned it to thickness taking it off alternate sides, but only got half as much that way.

Scott,

It sprung toward the kerf. don't have a moisture meter so don't know
moisture content but seemed dry. Will have to wait and see if stickering and time help

Thanks all Dick in Emmett, Idaho

chris toomey
11-12-2004, 6:53 PM
sounds like case hardened to me dick.....i'd build the barrel.