PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly ZCI Question

Joe Leigh
04-05-2010, 1:30 PM
Do the Grizzly zero clearance inserts for the new saws with riving knives (690 etc) come with the slots precut for the splitter and riving knife?
The picture in the catalog shows a blank insert.
I checked the powermatic site and their inserts are precut for the splitter/riving knife. Any new 690 owners know this answer?

Rob Hough
04-05-2010, 2:15 PM
Do the Grizzly zero clearance inserts for the new saws with riving knives (690 etc) come with the slots precut for the splitter and riving knife?
The picture in the catalog shows a blank insert.
I checked the powermatic site and their inserts are precut for the splitter/riving knife. Any new 690 owners know this answer?

No they are not and you have to remove additional material under the ZCI as well. If I had it all to do over again... I would save my money and just make my own. I bought mine thinking it would have all of that already... the fact that I have to do it myself is rather annoying.

Charles Krieger
04-05-2010, 5:36 PM
I just made a couple of ZCI's for my PM 2000. First I cut the material to width + 1/16" and marked the ends using the factory insert as a template. Next I trimmed the ends to within 1/16" on the band saw. Then I used carpet tape to stick the new ZCI to the factory insert. Using a flush trim bit in the router table, I routed the new insert to match the factory insert with the guide bearing against the factory ZCI.

Leaving the new insert stuck to the factory insert I put the factory insert into the saw and raised the blade through the combo to cut the first part of the kerf.

The new insert was flipped end for end and retaped to the factory ZCI and again the blade was raised through the combination. This gave me the clearance for the riving knife and the blade.

I then used a 1" straight bit in the router table to reduce the thickness of the new insert (on the underneath side) for the five pads that contact the insert to make the height adjustment. Several small adjustments to the router bit height were made to precisely level the insert testing between adjustments. (No adjustment screws were needed in the new insert.)

I suspect this method would work for making an insert for most any saw with a riving knife.

I hope this makes sense but if it doesn't you can pm me with any questions.

It almost as long to type this as it did to make the insert. I used 3/4" mdf but would have preferred phenolic laminate if I had it on hand. I have never even considered buying ZCI's from Powermatic.

glenn bradley
04-05-2010, 5:55 PM
Make them yourself. Like table saw sleds, these seem to be something people (like me at first) resist making when they are quite quick. They are a wear part that will be replaced many times anyway. When I set up to make them I do them in batches of 6 or so; 2 each for each blade type I commonly use (24, 40 and 80T) and spares for ad-hoc stuff. It only takes a bit more time to do 6 than it does to do one. Enjoy.