PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a 2" Die Cutter

Brian Robison
04-05-2010, 1:13 PM
I can't find one but I know I've seen them. I need to break down the cost, we do a TON of medallions every year and the 2" discs are getting very expensive.

David Takes
04-05-2010, 1:23 PM
Those are available from Main Trophy. I have been considering one myself. If a few others pile on we can likely negotiate a deal.

Brian Robison
04-05-2010, 1:27 PM
Found it, thanks. $500.00 though, that's a lot of medallions to make up the cost. Time for some math.

Brian Robison
04-05-2010, 1:29 PM
Looks like the break even point is at about 1500 discs.

David Takes
04-05-2010, 1:44 PM
Don't de-value the value of convenience. You can also make discs in other odd colored materials.

Let me know if you want to make a move on the purchase. I'll post an inquiry on the Engraver's Source Forum as well to see if any of the members might be interested. I'll also ask someone who is a member of Engraving Etc. to do the same.

David Takes
04-05-2010, 2:10 PM
Before making a post on the other forums I thought I'd check with Main Trophy just to see what opportunity might exist. You don't want to get the cart ahead of the horse. I just spoke with Main Trophy and this die cutter is not one of the machines they manufacture in house, so they don't have the margin to deal like they would on some of their other tooling. They said the discount might be a few percentage points, but nothing like 10%+. Hardly worth the time to organize the purchase.

Martin Boekers
04-05-2010, 2:38 PM
Can other dies fit the press? If so will they make dies and what will they cost.

I'd be hard pressed to by one just for 2" circles, but if I could purchase other shaped dies that aren't easily available pre-cut than it might be interesting.

Is Main Trophy's punch powered or manual?

Marty

Tony Lenkic
04-05-2010, 4:21 PM
David,

That same "SUPERPUNCH" is also listed on U.S.A. Buttons Inc. Not sure who is actual manufacturer it may be third party.
Check their web site at www dot usabuttons dot com

Martin,
This is manual punch with various diameter dies.

Doug Lynch
04-05-2010, 9:14 PM
We have been wanting one for a long time also. We have a lot of scrap sub alum that we could make a lot of 2 inch circles out of. We even bought one from Accucut but had to return it as it would not work like they said it would. So if anyone comes up with a good deal please post it.

Doug Lynch

David Takes
04-05-2010, 11:56 PM
From conversation with Main Trophy they quoted me $329.00 for each individual die.

Doug Lynch
04-20-2010, 11:29 PM
We bought the “Super Punch” and it is working very well. It will pay for it self real quick.
Doug Lynch

David Takes
04-21-2010, 9:14 AM
Doug,

Since you have a machine in your hands, does it look like a person have custom dies made for those devices in the shape of ovals, squares, etc.? I have a friend who works at a die shop who could make these for me locally.

Doug Lynch
04-21-2010, 9:39 AM
I think it could be done but it would be hard. The way it is made both sides of the die move. The one on the bottom pushes up and at the same time moves the top part one direction. Also the die part is really a tight fit (like you would want). Both parts are really thick, like 0.75 inch?
PM me and I can send you some pictures if you want.

Doug

Dave Johnson29
04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
The one on the bottom pushes up and at the same time moves the top part one direction. Also the die part is really a tight fit (like you would want). Both parts are really thick, like 0.75 inch?

Doug, if you attach some pics to an email, it might be something I can make a few of. I have a shop full of CNC metalworking machinery. If there is a need for say 5 sets, I would be surprised if they cost 500-bucks a piece.

I would need to check the device is not in current Patent.

Mark Winlund
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Doug, if you attach some pics to an email, it might be something I can make a few of. I have a shop full of CNC metalworking machinery. If there is a need for say 5 sets, I would be surprised if they cost 500-bucks a piece.

I would need to check the device is not in current Patent.

I suspect that the punches and dies need to be hardened and ground. This puts a different light on the costs. Also, non round punch and die sets are much harder to make, and require very accurate locating and keying. With material thickness at .020", the proper clearance between punch and die is only .002", and this clearance has to be maintained during the punching operation. This in turn requires fits of only a few tenths in the structure holding the punch and die. Not a trivial thing to do.

Mark (ex-machinist)

Dave Johnson29
04-21-2010, 9:04 PM
This in turn requires fits of only a few tenths in the structure holding the punch and die. Not a trivial thing to do.

I agree. :D

I am an Apprenticed toolmaker of plastic injection molds, progressive metal stamping and forming dies, metal rolling and spinning forms, and, and, and...

Just one of the machines I have here is a two and a half ton state of the art bed-mill CNC machine that will hold 0.0004" with 0.0003" repeatability. :D

After toolmaking for many years I became a tool design draftsman and then later, at night-school, an Engineer.

I think I have it covered.

Dave :):cool:

David Takes
04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Dave,

It appears you would also be a good source to make the dies I was inquiring about. ;)

Dave Johnson29
04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
It appears you would also be a good source to make the dies I was inquiring about. ;)

Dave,

Yup. Doug has sent me some pics (BIG THANKS to Doug) and I have a significant departure from that design in mind. I will be drawing it up today and getting started on a prototype.

Watch this space... ;)

What materials are normally cut with these die cutters?

Thickness?

Thanks

David Takes
04-22-2010, 10:59 AM
In my world I would be cutting .020" - .025" Aluminum, Brass & Brass Plated Steel.

Dave Johnson29
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM
We even bought one from Accucut but had to return it as it would not work like they said it would.

Hi Doug,

What was it you wanted it to do that it would not?

I am currently on design number 3 and I suddenly remember you making this comment. I have another idea to investigate also.

Just for interest,

Design 1 turned out a little clunky and bulky looking. Not out of the picture entirely yet.

Design 2 looks elegant but the cost started building fast when I got to programming it for the CNC.

Design 3, a combination of elegance, cost and purpose, but I need to test a rather radical operational theory with some wood today.

I love my FastCAD software! :D

Doug Lynch
04-25-2010, 1:38 PM
The Accucut one would only bend the metal. Accucut said "they thought it would work", we returned it and got our money back.

Doug Lynch

Dave Johnson29
04-25-2010, 7:23 PM
The Accucut one would only bend the metal.

Doug,

I assume by bend, you mean you could not apply enough force to cut it?

Is the scrap sub aluminum the same thickness we were talking about at 0.025" max? Or thicker?

Doug Lynch
04-25-2010, 7:33 PM
The Accucut cuttter was made out of metal and rubber. The alum was placed flat on the rubber and you turned a crank to roll it into the cutting area. It came out the other side all bent up. The rubber was not strong enough to force the alum into the cutter. It was made for paper and cardboard but Accucut said it would work on that thin alum. It did not.
And yes the sub alum is the same thickness as the regular alum you engrave on. I think 0.02 inch.

Doug

Dave Johnson29
04-25-2010, 8:35 PM
And yes the sub alum is the same thickness as the regular alum you engrave on. I think 0.02 inch.

Thanks Doug,

Design number 4 looks good. I will start on the prototype tomorrow probably.

Change-able punch and dies. Woo Hooo. :)

David Takes
07-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Any progress report on this project? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Joe De Medeiros
07-22-2010, 2:01 PM
for smaller discs I use one of these, made by Pepe tools
http://i29.tinypic.com/2wmlxkn.jpg
it's good for up to 1", you just hit it with a brass hammer, they have larger ones, with dies that are 1-1/2 and 1-5/8 but they recommend a hydraulic press. This set will cut soft metals up to a 12 gauge thickness.

David Takes
07-22-2010, 2:34 PM
That is a nice set-up, but I normally deal with 2" discs and normally in higher quantities, so the hammer option just won't work. Thanks.