PDA

View Full Version : CMYK or RGB, who knew?

Scott Shepherd
04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I had a job this weekend that was kicking me in the backside. I ran a number of items, all only having minor differences and I kept getting banding on one piece. The area that was banding was no different than any of the other pieces I had, but for the life of me, I couldn't get rid of the banding. I made 6 or 7 of them, all trying different things, all with no results. The color used in that area that was banding was 15% gray. I even tried rotating the image 90 degrees and then 180, and still same problem.

Then something hit me to check, and I slipped away from my deafult color palette that's loaded for the laser (sent by ULS with the laser), and I looked at colors on another palette. I noticed they said "15% black". So I wondered what the difference in 15% gray and 15% black were. In looking at the color in detail, 15% gray was a CMYK color (4 color setup), and 15% black was RGB (3 color). We use CMYK often as that's what printers are and if you're supplying CMYK to printers, it makes them happy :)

So, I got the values converted from CMYK, C=0,M=0,Y=0,K=15, to RGB, R=216,G=216,B=216. So I'm basically stopping the use of the CMYK palette and using the RGB palette and trying to match the colors. I ran a test, no banding, same look on the material.

So I start to wonder if I've been using the wrong color profile all along. I look at the palette that came with my laser and when you pick it, it seems to be CMYK colors. Yet, when I look in the manual, it mentions a tiny bit about colors and the only mention is RGB.

So it made think that maybe I've been using a color palette that the laser doesn't much care for. More testing will have to happen before I know the answer to that one, but for now, it solved my banding issue.

I learned a lot on that job. I used the smartfill tool a lot. I saw some very odd behaviors happen. I had an object that was trapped in and should have been the perfect use of the smartfill tool. I clicked it. Nothing happened. Clicked again. Nothing. Looked in the object manager, nothing created. Clicked all around the area. Finally, in one small space I clicked, it worked and the entire area was created. I checked wire frame to see if there was some tiny or hidden object around. Nope. Nothing. So I'm starting to think that there are some very small, fine details that are handled different in files, no matter how you create them or how they look on the screen.

Those are the things that jump up and bite us and we have to fight through. All this time, I thought it was me or something I did, now I'm beginning to think it's the way Corel handles things. It's not always 100% the same, which causes problems.

Just my theory at this point, but thought some people here would be able to contribute to this topic.

Steve Clarkson
04-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting this.......I also noticed some banding that I wasn't getting before. Checked my palette and sure enough....it was CMYK. I just changed it.

I agree......sometimes we overlook things that we take for granted.

Thanks again for posting this!!!

Scott Shepherd
04-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Steve, let us know if that fixes it. Normally banding for me occurs when the focus is spot on. Taking it out of focus by .020-.030" normally gets rid of it. However, this time, I was going all the way to .090" out of focus and it wouldn't get rid of it, while the piece before and after this one worked out fine, in focus.

It was the last piece I had to do to complete the job after all was said and done, and it was kicking my butt. I didn't know what else to do, other than start looking for reasons the files would behave different when they were done the same way.

ULS includes a color palette with their systems, and it's mapped across the colors in the driver, so who am I to judge? I do know that it fixed my problem in this situation.

Something to pay attention to in the future when you have issues. Just one more tool in the tool box :)

Liesl Dexheimer
04-05-2010, 4:16 PM
I always use RGB otherwise I get pixel type marks if I use CMYK.

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-05-2010, 5:11 PM
Steve
Have you got an Email into your contacts at ULS yet?
Sure would like to know what they have to say.

Frank Corker
04-05-2010, 5:32 PM
I stopped using CYMK a long time ago because the results were dire, I remain with RGB, works the best.

Scott Shepherd
04-05-2010, 5:57 PM
I haven't called into ULS yet.

I wouldn't have known I was using CMYK for the laser if I hadn't stumbled upon it. I installed their color palette and made it my default palette, so I thought we were all good. And I guess we were for a long time. Just happened into this problem and into a possible solution.

We'll see, maybe someone here knows the answer.

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-05-2010, 7:00 PM
I keep both the CMYK and the RBG pallets open all the time as I have some vendors ask for CMYK and other vendors ask for RBG. And I Keep the one from ULS oopen all the time too.

I figrued it was the right format and never looked, but mine from ULS are CMYK too, I have more than one from them.

Good catch Steve, and thanks for posting it here. I have run into banding at times, and if I get any time soon I will try changing pallets.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-05-2010, 7:42 PM
Re the problem with smartfill. On several occasions I have not been able to use the smartfill tool. When I clicked in the area I wanted to create, nothing would happen.

What has worked for me every time this happens is to look closely at the lines. Upon heavy magnification when you zoom in 6400% - 12800% or so, I found the lines were not crossing each other. While they looked like they intersected, once you selected all the items in question and selected the Shape tool to see the individual nodes, you could find a node or two that did not completely cross another line. Moving that node a mere 0.01" over to cross that line would then allow me to use the smartfill tool

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-16-2010, 9:57 AM
FWIW, the color palette for all the dropdowns, including the smart fill, can be changed to the RGB palette.

Click on the flyout at the top of the RGB palette and select "set as default". this will change all the color dropdowns to use the RGB one.

FWIW, this should be less of an issue in X5 assuming that you follow the color mgt instructions I posted earlier.
T.

Brian Terry
04-16-2010, 11:08 AM
I have a universal v-460. I have had no problems yet. But I am curious, how do you check the laser itself. I have checked in corel x4 and changed it. But nowhere in the manual I have for the laser mentions anything about color. Is there a selection in the laser menus?