PDA

View Full Version : Gold Leafing a Book

Steve Clarkson
04-05-2010, 7:55 AM
Does anyone have any great ideas on how to get realtively small text in gold on a book cover?

I tried masking with painters tape and engraving through and then using gold metallic paint, but the paint bled through and it looked really messy after I pulled off the tape. I was planning to try actual gold leafing, but thought the glue might not be able to get in the small letters.

It needs to be relatively durable, so laser foil won't work.

I thought about heat embossing, but that doesn't handle small text well.

And I don't have CLT or a heat press.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
04-05-2010, 9:05 AM
I have done gold leaf on 1/2" Times New roman, using a plotter cut stencil
made with Cal-Mask Arlon vinyl. It worked fine but I had to use a tiny brush to apply the size. Smaller than that would indeed be a real challenge.

What kind of gold paint did you try? I think the One-Shot would do better with less bleeding, but if the book cover is paper you might have to seal the whole thing with clear first, then engrave through the tape, apply more clear to the letters, then the gold.

Dee Gallo
04-05-2010, 9:10 AM
Once you made your mask and weeded it, did you press the mask down really well? Weeding tends to pull up the edges enough to make a bad mask.

Then did you use an airbrush to apply the paint using several light passes? These techniques should assure success. Paint applied with an airbrush should dry just as it hits the surface, therefore, no bleeding.

Try again, and good luck!

cheers, dee

Mark Winlund
04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Hot stamping press. Made for this, and you can create the dies with your laser. Used, the equipment is not expensive.

Mark

Steve Clarkson
04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
OK.....I'll give those ideas a shot. Thank you!

Len Levi
04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
On Leather:

I have tried masking and spray painting metallic gold. It looks good but
could not get the paint to ever dry really hard and it would rub off.

Foil stamping works well if the material is smooth. With the laser I have engraved high temp silicone and made dies for the hot stamp machine.
The font size can be as small as 7 or 8 pt and still be legible, works best
on paper and plastic, leather is a bit tricky but can be done.

Will post some pics of the laser engraved hot foil dies and the end result.
The gold and silver foils give a much more brillant look than what I tried with the paint.

Rodne Gold
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Gilders wax , like rub n buff but a bit harder works well if you use a mask , it doesnt wick into the unengraved areas like more viscous paint.
Apply using a "stippling" type brush

Mike Null
04-05-2010, 3:38 PM
I think I'd try Rodney's suggestion but buy some of the new green painters tape to use as the mask.

Steve Clarkson
04-05-2010, 5:03 PM
I think I'd try Rodney's suggestion but buy some of the new green painters tape to use as the mask.

I've searched all over and can't find the gilders paste locally. Guess I'll go surf the net for some.

Does the green frog tape really work alot better than the blue painters tape?

Dan Hintz
04-05-2010, 8:03 PM
Steve,

Light coats are the real way to go for fine detail work, and Dee's suggestion to rub the mask down again is a good one. Cover the area with a sheet of paper and use a quarter's edge or other smooth surface to rub down the area. The green Frog Tape is always a good way to go when using paint (probably won't do much more than blue tape for gilder's paste).

Rodne Gold
04-06-2010, 1:00 AM
Just about any hobby/crafters/scrapbooking supply shop (try your local hardware emporiums hobby section) will stock gilding wax/gilders paste , it's about 1/10th the price of rub n buff and more effective. They have about 10 shades of gold , as many of silver and bronze , and 100's of other colours.
We use it to fill engraved perspex and other stuff , apply using a toothbrush , turpentine removes any excess.
I have had gold filled perspex items outside for over 5 years , the gold dulls slightly but not much.
It even witstands some washing cycles.
Wonderful stuff - we use tons of it.
I dont use masks much as we are experienced in filling and cleaning , only use a mask where the surface might absorb the stuff (leather , wood , marble , granite, stone) and I use rolls of application tape (paper based) obtained from sign supply houses. similar to ordinary masking tape
The nice thing about this tape is that it comes off real easy , especially when wetted or moistened.
I have actually tried to use gold stamping foil and "laser" it onto the item , but its not workable.
If you have a rotary engraver , there is an add on that converts it into a gold foiler
http://www.rse.co.za/Engraving/Kirba/Kirba_Gold_Print.php

Mike Null
04-06-2010, 5:15 AM
There is a similar device available from Quality One Engravers but it won't fit all brands of rotary machines. (my Newing Hall for example)

Dan Hintz
04-06-2010, 7:02 AM
Rodney,

It's obviously different in SA... I have yet to see any standard hobby/craft shop carry gilder's paste (and I've looked). I haven't tried any specialty stores yet, though I'm not sure exactly the type of store to look for as drafting/art supplies are usually carried by the typical craft Borgs, pushing out the specialty stores. There was a great store back in Florida, titled simply The Office Supply Store, that was half stocked with good drafting/art supplies (other half was boring office furniture)... everything from drafting tables/chairs to quality paper, airbrushes/paints, etc. I miss that store.

Rodne Gold
04-06-2010, 8:17 AM
Probably better to search for Gilding/gilders wax
I get a lot of hits on that.
As to the foiling setup - I investigated the add on thing , but typically there is alway a fly in the ointment.
You get "blobby" starts where the tip comes down , its due to the tool down dwell , where the start point of small lines and lettering looks like the pad on PC board (not quitre as bad - but you get the point)

Jonathan Overlin
06-29-2011, 1:52 AM
I found gilder's paste at dick blick art materials and also their supplier is at
www.gilderspaste.com (http://www.gilderspaste.com/)
I just got mine today and will be trying it out soon.

-Jonathan