PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Jewett - new book DVD set

Howard Rosenberg
04-05-2010, 12:23 AM
I figure I'll try spraying this year and I see Jeff Jewett's newest book is out.

Has anyone bought it.
If so what did you think?
Thanks.

Howard

Jack Clark
04-05-2010, 12:49 AM
I got it, and think it's really good.

It gets straight to all the basic, important things we amateurs need to know about spray finishing. I would recommend it to anyone.

I do wish he could have debunked some of the air compressor myths a little more, though.

But overall, it is very, very good.

Did I mention it would be money wisely spent?

Paul Wunder
04-05-2010, 11:01 AM
+1 to what Jack said. The DVD is worth the price all by itself as it really shows the basics and demystifies the process. Bought it on Amazon for $17 vs Taunton $25.

Matt Winterowd
04-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I like it. Good basic info and well presented. Definitely glad I bought it.

I do wish he could have debunked some of the air compressor myths a little more, though.

Jack, I'm curious about what you specifically mean?

Paul Wunder
04-05-2010, 1:48 PM
Can't speak for Jack, But although Jeff shows some pictures of smaller compressors (ostensibly those that could be used for use with conversion guns) he does not really address the prevailing idea that you need a lot of horses and a big tank to spray other than saying that today's guns are more efficient.

Robert Reece
04-05-2010, 1:53 PM
I have the book/DVD set, but I have not yet watched the video. I figured I'd spray something first, then watch it since I'd have more of an understanding after I tried something once. I sprayed some drawer fronts last week and it went quite well, so I'll watch the DVD shortly.

That having been said, I can say that I have a 4HP compressor and a CATech FE gun and it likes a lot of air. I obviously don't have broad experience with what can be achieved with smaller compressors, but it does seem like this gun (which Jeff recommended as the best) certainly likes air. I have to think the quality of the finish and the air consumption are somewhat related.

Van Huskey
04-05-2010, 2:34 PM
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, excellent book and with the DVD a really good value for me.

Matt Meiser
04-05-2010, 2:41 PM
I got it week before last and have flipped through it. I'm becoming a rather experienced (note that I did not say "good") sprayer and it still looks like there is some good info in there for me. I haven't watched the DVD yet, which is the real reason I bought it.

Jack Clark
04-05-2010, 4:54 PM
I haven't watched the DVD yet, which is the real reason I bought it.

Matt, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. :)

Jack Clark
04-05-2010, 5:12 PM
Jack, I'm curious about what you specifically mean?

Well mostly the whole fiasco with ridiculous horsepower ratings on 110 volt compressors. But when I think about that gripe for more than a half second, the subject would probably require an entire DVD just devoted to that single topic.

Perhaps Jeff could have also spent put a little more emphasis on CFM requirements of HVLP guns. It's pretty important.

Alas, one of the easiest things we do in life is criticize.

In spite of what I said above, it's still an excellent, information packed DVD that will help just about anyone interested in spray finishing.

Here's a link to a pretty good explanation of the phony air compressor ratings (note to moderators–this is not a commercial site):

http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

Then I found this quote on another website the other day. It kind of sums up all the horsepower hype:

"The way I heard it years ago is that the max-claimed HP of a shop-vac,
etc. was actually achievable. It was the based on the max amperage the
unit would draw if you jammed a screwdriver in the impeller. Just
before the motor fried, you will have achieved maximum HP."

Back to Jeff's piece of work. Buy it, you'll like it.