PDA

View Full Version : Mounting A TS on a Mobile Base

Orlando Gonzalez
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
My new CM hybrid TS w/granite top is being delivered on Saturday and since it is my 1st cabinet style saw, I need some ideas on how to mount it on the mobile base I have for it - like how much help you had, what you used to lift it onto the base, etc.

Since it is the same saw as the one from SC, I was told that it comes bolted to a metal frame.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Orlando

Ray Bell
04-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Orlando, it just happens that I did this last Friday. It was a G0691, don't know what the weight difference is, but it was fairly easy. My cousin and I lifted the saw as his wife slid the mobile base under it. So two lifters and if available one slider should work. Good luck.

Joe Shinall
04-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Listen to Ray. I cannot tell anyone to do it like I did. I had just had shoulder surgery and wasn't even out of my sling for 3 weeks when I did mine. I did it all by myself with a Unisaw. I had 2x4's and crates, pallets, and just about anything in my shop I could lean it up against and shim it from the back and was not the smartest way by far but I had no help and had to get it done. Of course, that "had to get it done" was just because "I really wanted it done and couldn't wait".

GET HELP!!!!

Jon Canfield
04-06-2010, 7:34 PM
My wife and I did my 22116. I did put it on the base before mounting the wings and fence to save a hundred or so pounds of lifting.

Jason White
04-06-2010, 7:45 PM
I rented an engine hoist. $30 for the day. Was able to do it all by myself with no injuries to me or the saw. Jason

My new CM hybrid TS w/granite top is being delivered on Saturday and since it is my 1st cabinet style saw, I need some ideas on how to mount it on the mobile base I have for it - like how much help you had, what you used to lift it onto the base, etc.

Since it is the same saw as the one from SC, I was told that it comes bolted to a metal frame.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Orlando

Jeff Mackay
04-06-2010, 7:50 PM
I did it myself. I used some 4/4 board I had lying around as levers, and assembled the mobile base around the saw. It worked just fine, and I didn't need any help.

Jeff

Myk Rian
04-06-2010, 9:27 PM
I lifted my SC saw with a chain fall attached to the garage joist. Held it up with a 2x4 from the floor to the joist. Didn't want the roof falling in with 400 lbs hanging on it.

I noticed wobble when it was on the base due to the plastic feet under the cabinet. Either remove those, or cut triangle wedges so the cabinet corners sit on them, instead of the feet.

Kent A Bathurst
04-06-2010, 9:31 PM
Wings, table, extension off. One friend. He helped me tilt it onto the left bottom edge and get it balanced, then he went around and pushed the base under. Then, helped me to gently drop it down so it was tilted into the base opening. Then we wrestled it into place.

Jim O'Dell
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I did my Go691 by myself....no really, I did. But it was a home made base. I assembled the back, and the 2 sides, tilted up the front of the saw cabinet and kicked 2 pieces of wood the height the saw base needed to be when on the base under the front edge, tilted the back side up and slid the base under it, set it down. Used some wood under the 2 sides to hold it up so that the saw was sitting on 3 sides of the base, pulled the 2 pieces of wood out that the front of the cabinet was on, then secured the front rail, and finally pulled the 2 pieces of wood out from under the sides. If your commercial base can be assembled that way, it should work for you too. I never felt I was out of control of the saw. Jim.

Floyd Mah
04-06-2010, 11:46 PM
I uncrated and installed a Grizzly bandsaw on a mobile base using small blocks of wood and a pry bar (flat shingling type). All you have to do is tilt up one side or corner with the pry bar and install blocks of wood (3/4" or larger in thickness) under the saw. Work around the perimeter until you have it all in the air. Use blocks as a support for the pry bar as your saw rises into the air. Remove the packing materials and then build the mobile base around it. Lower the saw by levering and removing the blocks. The most force you would need to apply might be to put your weight on the pry bar by stepping on it. When you're done, you get an idea what the ancient pyramid builders must have done to move their table saws.