PDA

View Full Version : AirStream

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 9:09 PM
Well as I said in my other post I am back in the shop. Oh does it feel good. I have been fighting a bronchial infection due to wood dust even though I was wearing a Trend (not the Pro) all the time. I put new filters in it and I could still smell the wood. My Doctor told me if you can smell it you are breathing it. So I bought a AirStream AS 400. It is so nice as it is more comfortable to wear with a lot more air flow. So I have rerouted my DC and rehung my air cleaner from the ceiling. These are now remote controlled and go on when I walk in the shop. I wasn't very good about running them before. So hopefully this will cure a lot of problems. I finished a cherry bowl Saturday and completed the finish today. Sanding is no longer a problem. I should have been more diligent but got lazy felt I would be ok and that is on me.

Aaron Wingert
04-04-2010, 9:20 PM
Does it fog up at all, or does it have some sort of airflow system in it?

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 9:24 PM
Does it fog up at all, or does it have some sort of airflow system in it?

No it doesn't fog and has plenty of air flow over your face.

Joe Wiliams
04-04-2010, 9:26 PM
What time is it?:D:p

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Bernie - the 3M looks great! Are you going to put NASCAR stickers all over that new white helmet? Just curious...

David E Keller
04-04-2010, 10:33 PM
What time is it?:D:p

It does seem that someone has a clock fetish.

Jon Lanier
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
How much does that puppy run?

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks again. It will be worn anytime I am in that shop doing woodworking. The remotes are by the door. So the DC and air cleaner will go on when I go in.

Joe and David I also run a clock restoration shop in the same building. Those clocks are mine in my collection.

Jon that thing runs around $850 with a smart charger. After my breathing therapy, med's and Doctor office calls that is cheap. Let me tell you.

Rich Boehlke
04-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Wise move, Bernie. I also just acquired an AS 400. I agree it is more comfortable than the Trend and also have additional confidence knowing the shield is shatter proof. Expensive, yes but money well spent.

Ray Bell
04-04-2010, 11:37 PM
That looks like it should work well. I am also prone to sinus infections, and in fact am on antibiotics right now. I have often suspected that wood dust affected this. Not only a good looking dust helmet, and if you ever get a hankering to jump into a hockey game.......

Joe Adams
04-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I am a firm believer in the old axiom that "you get what you pay for" but it just seems like 3M is ripping people off on an important piece of safety equipment. I have no doubt that this was money well spent but the price seems excessive when you think about the material costs of the components. 3M could sell a lot more of these if they would price them fairly.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks. Ray I to had been getting sinus infections at least 2 to 4 times last year. My Doc suspected that it was the wood dust but this time it was serious.

Joe you are right. They are more expensive than they should be. It was hard plunking down that much cash but as I told Jon if you saw the medical bills it sure is cheap so all in all paid for it twice and as my Doc said you only have one set of lungs.

Joe Adams
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Bernie,

Congratulations on getting a great piece of equipment. Having once self-induced a bad case of bronchial pneumonia from sanding with no protection whatsoever, I can definitely see the value in it (despite the high cost). I hope I didn't rain on your parade.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
No problem Joe. I know it is expensive. More so than it should be but like I said I don't want this stuff again. I was on the verge of bronchial pneumonia.

Joe Adams
04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I had a bad case of bronchial pneumonia that my doctor firmly placed on the fine particles of maple dust I inhaled while sanding my first bowl up to 800 grit. I knew better and had N-95 dust masks available but got caught up in my enthusiasm to finish.

Nigel Tracy
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Hmmmm timely post for me. I've been getting over some sort of condition that has had me coughing and stuffed up for over two weeks now. It started with a sore throat and now just seems to be lingering congestion.

I've never ever had this sort of cold/cough thing linger for so long, and it makes me wonder if it's dust related. I just started finish turning and sanding again after other projects in the winter... but how can one really determine if the problem is dust?

In any case I'll be taking the possibility to heart based on your story Bernie. Thanks for sharing the warning.

Nigel

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Nigel. I had had the stuffy (sinus infection), coughing and had actually noticed when I went to bed that I was whizzing some. She took some tests of what I had coughed up and it did have dust in it. Maybe I have gone over board with the DC, air cleaner and AirStream but it sure was a wake up call for me.

Bill Bolen
04-05-2010, 1:16 PM
Thanks for this post Bernie. I have been suffering with some of the same symptoms you described even using breathing protection. Guess I better find out what really is going on just as you did. I hate the though of spending so much to keep turning but the price of not getting better protection is even worse! Again, thanks for getting my "thinker" running again! Hey,, isn't that the same set up Bill Grumbine uses? Sure looks familiar...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2010, 9:45 PM
Thanks Bill. Yes it is the same one. It surely is a wake up call for sure. I am just glad I caught it before it got worse. I don't know what I would do if I could work with wood.

Mark Carlson
04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Bernie,

I hope this works for you. It should. I've had one for a couple of years and you get over the initial cost pretty quick. Some other benefits besides the dust protection. Face shield works well if you wear glasses. The air flow keeps you cool in the summer time. They also sell ear muffs that attach to the helmet which work really well. The only part I don't like is the battery pack attached to my belt and the cord running up my back to the helmet. I usually run the cord under my shirt so I don't snag anything. Overall one of the best things I bought. I included the link to the ear muffs:)

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-headgear-mounted-ear-muff-kit.html

~mark

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks Mark. I wear a turning smock so run the cord under it. So far I have used it for 3 days of turning and it is comfortable with lots of air flow. Like I said yea it is expensive but after looking at the doctor bill I paid for it twice.:mad:

David E Keller
04-06-2010, 8:48 PM
You've got me(and more importantly, my wife) interested in the 3M helmet. Anybody got a clue about the best online price? Are there any places that do annual sales?

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2010, 11:37 PM
David this is where I got mine and they were the only ones that had them in stock. I also got the smart charger and glad I did because when I forget it drops the charge down to a trickle charge and doesn't burn up the battery.

http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepaas400airstreamsystem.aspx

jason lambert
04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Yea i bought one of them as well, I just have to remember to leave it on all the time. Congrats on your purchase you have one of the only helmits that will filter down to 1 micron.

Airflow is no problem, no fogging, in fact in mind I almost wish it has a speed control, just a great device.

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2010, 10:50 AM
David - this is where I bought mine and I honestly do not remember ever seeing these units go on sale!

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3M-Airstream-Powered-Air-Purifying-Respirator-PAPR-System.html#

Matt Ranum
04-07-2010, 4:21 PM
Breathing this stuff is the big reason I learned to use hand tools in most of my wood work. Sanders just spew that stuff everywhere it seems and planes and scrapers have nice shavings and chips. When I get to do more turning I'll have to watch myself with the dust.

My Uncle who passed a way a couple years ago swears the reason for his emphysema(sp) was from Walnut dust and he always warned me about it. Of course it could have been from the 2 packs a day he smoked too I suppose.:rolleyes::p

Glenn Barber
04-07-2010, 7:41 PM
Has anyone tried to see if any of the companies would give a break to a woodturning club if a minimum was ordered?

Maybe directly thru 3M if it's a non-profit club?

Glenn

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2010, 8:45 PM
Don't know Glenn. My nearest club is 5 hrs or so away so haven't joined any. My be worth a phone call. They can't no more than say no.

Ryan Baker
04-07-2010, 8:46 PM
Bernie and Steve,

How many hours of battery life are you getting on a charge?

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2010, 8:48 PM
I've been recharging it early but have been getting 6 to 7 hours with no problem. Feel it would go longer but haven't run it that long yet.

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2010, 8:49 PM
Mine was still running after 8 1/2 hrs and was still going.

Ryan Baker
04-07-2010, 9:18 PM
Thanks guys. I have been thinking about upgrading to an airstream for a while and thinking about whether I needed to drop the cash on an extra battery pack (not cheap).