PDA

View Full Version : Back in the Shop

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 8:54 PM
What could be better than a day in the shop, Easter Sunday, 72 degrees and well after 3 1/2 weeks of a bronchial infection finally my Doc said Friday that I could maybe get back in the shop this weekend. Here is the start of a canister set. There will be 4 or them. One holding flour, one for sugar, one for coffee and one for tea. They will be 10", 9", 8" and 7" tall and 6" to 7" across. They will be anchorsealed and put away to dry. As you can see I have 3 more blocks to rough turn. I have been in contact with Mike Mahoney about this project. He has been helpful and is a really nice guy. Anyway hopefully they will turn out because I happen to get some pecan from Mike Smith in North Carolina before our own John Keeton got his hands on it. They will be 8 X 8 X 12 for another set of 4 canisters.

Steve Mawson
04-04-2010, 8:57 PM
Glad you are getting better Bernie. Has been a nice weekend. Took a trip to Illinois to see all the family and just got back.

David E Keller
04-04-2010, 9:04 PM
Glad you're feeling better. I'm just a few hours south of you I think, and the weather could not have been any better. Maybe we'll get a few weeks of this before it gets hotter than hell.

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Glad you are finally allowed back in the shop! I suppose you are going to make up for lost time with a bunch of new projects! These look like a great start! Looking forward to seeing them once they are finished!

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks again. Steve I got a couple of projects on the burner. I need to finish my salad bowl set, some lamps as all my cherry lamps sold in the last couple of months, canister sets (2) and hopefully get my bowl coring outfit out to do some coring.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Bernie, Glad to hear you're back in the shop. I hope you take all the necessary precautions and stay healthy so you can turn to your hearts content.

Richard Madison
04-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Long time, no turning. Bummer. Glad you made it back. Am sure your lathe has missed you.

John Keeton
04-05-2010, 6:38 AM
Bernie, you sure seem excited to be back at it! Just think, you used to have time to go to work and still get all of this done!

That maple has some nice figure to it, and I look forward to seeing the pecan, too. Even though I have quite a stash of wood, I hope to contact Mike again shortly for a few more things.:D Can't ever have too much wood!

Roland Martin
04-05-2010, 6:45 AM
Glad to hear you are mending Bernie, you've unintentionally tought me to pay attention to protect my lungs.
Congratulations on beating John K. to the Pecan, one has to get up early and be on top of his game to accomplish that!:D
Take care Bernie.

steven carter
04-05-2010, 9:26 AM
Bernie,

I've very glad to hear that you have recovered enough to get back at again! It must have been difficult having retired and getting the time to do what you love, and then not being able to do it. Sometimes though being without something, makes us appreciate what we have. My wife and I have been doing week long hikes on the Appalachian Trail each year, and when we do we carry everything we need for the week on our backs. People sometimes ask us why we would deprive ourselves of modern conveniences, and we tell them that it is worth it because after even just a week, you would be surprised and the enjoyment you get from something as simple as ice in a drink, or a good bed, or a fan or air conditioning. Of course it's not long before we start to take these things for granted again. Wouldn't it be great if we could all learn to be greatful for all the great things we have in life?

One of the things I am greateful for is all the help you have given me and others on this site with great advice and encouragement!

Looking forward to more of the same.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2010, 9:53 AM
Thanks again. I truly appreciate it. Yes it was hard and I learned a hard lesson that I am not as tough as I thought. Today I hope to get at least 2 more roughed out and the final one tomorrow to head to the dry process.

Steven thanks so much for your kind words. You are right. You don't know what you have until it is not there.