PDA

View Full Version : Another HF

Michael E. Thompson
04-04-2010, 8:40 PM
Hope all had a great Easter. I did a bit of turning while I was off work the last couple days. This is my eighth hollow form. I have to say I really enjoy doing these. The form is cherry and the finial is walnut. I was going to ebonize the finial, but I really liked the contrast between the cherry and walnut. The HF split while drying so I filled is with CA and walnut sanding dust. It was my first attempt at filling a crack, could have done better, but still pleased with it. Its approx 5" dia and 8" tall with the finial. The thinnest part of the finial is probably around 3/32" or so. Finials are still a work in progress, but I am happy with this one. Finished with BLO and shellac. Quite a bit of shimmer in the cherry, changes colors quite a bit as you roll it around in the light.

Please C&C.

Mike

David E Keller
04-04-2010, 8:51 PM
Nice form. It looks good to me.

Roland Martin
04-04-2010, 8:56 PM
Nice job Michael. Really nice piece of cherry, nice form and a nice finial.

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 9:13 PM
Really a nice looking HF Michael. Really nice form and finial.

Richard Madison
04-04-2010, 9:52 PM
Looks pretty good Mike, but since you asked ---. Your curvatures look good and smooth but the shoulder (largest diameter) is at about 80% of the vessel height. Next time try to have the shoulder at about 67 to 70% of the vessel height, reduce the base diameter slightly in proportion to the shoulder diameter, and radius the bottom edge into the base to give the piece some "lift" off the surface.

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2010, 9:59 PM
I think that for hollow form #8 - this is looking pretty good! I do agree with Richard's suggestions on form. I look forward to seeing hollow form #9!

Michael E. Thompson
04-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Looks pretty good Mike, but since you asked ---. Your curvatures look good and smooth but the shoulder (largest diameter) is at about 80% of the vessel height. Next time try to have the shoulder at about 67 to 70% of the vessel height, reduce the base diameter slightly in proportion to the shoulder diameter, and radius the bottom edge into the base to give the piece some "lift" off the surface.

I understand what you are saying about the base, but am unsure about what you are say regarding the should height. I think you are telling me, simply put, the top of the vessel is a bit too flat and needs to be raised up some???

Thanks for the input. That is what I am looking for.

Mike

Jeff Fagen
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Why did you use walnut dust in the crack instead of cherry material?

I like the form.

Michael E. Thompson
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Why did you use walnut dust in the crack instead of cherry material?

I like the form.

I wanted to tie the color of the finial and the filler together I guess trying to make a bold contrast. I also thought a same color filler would look too much like a patch. I felt like if I had to disrupt the flow of the grain, it would be better to draw attention to it rather than try to hide it.

John Keeton
04-05-2010, 7:03 AM
I understand what you are saying about the base, but am unsure about what you are say regarding the should height. I think you are telling me, simply put, the top of the vessel is a bit too flat and needs to be raised up some???

Thanks for the input. That is what I am looking for.

MikeMike, I think what Richard is saying is that the widest part of the form should be lowered to about the 2/3 point from the base of the form. That would force your top and base to "radius" to that point, giving the form more flowing curves.

I guess your take on it was essentially correct except that would make the form taller.

I think you are really improving on these, and you did a nice job with this one. Bummer on the crack, but I do understand the dark filler.

While cherry and walnut look good together now, later on you may find that the two woods don't do as well in combo. The walnut will get an amber hue to it and lighten - the cherry will darken with reddish hue. IMO, the result is not nearly as pleasing as when they are freshly worked.

Michael E. Thompson
04-05-2010, 8:48 AM
While cherry and walnut look good together now, later on you may find that the two woods don't do as well in combo. The walnut will get an amber hue to it and lighten - the cherry will darken with reddish hue. IMO, the result is not nearly as pleasing as when they are freshly worked.

Excellent point John, I never concidered that. I may have to redo the finish on the finial and ebonize it afterall.