PDA

View Full Version : Flame Box Elder Bowl

Donny Lawson
04-04-2010, 6:39 PM
I made 2 of these today and they both turned out well.I also added about 12 pen blanks as well.Right now they are in a DNA bath.I hope they all turn out good because they sure are pretty.What do you think?
Donny

John Keeton
04-04-2010, 8:30 PM
Donny, that certainly is some beautiful wood!! Hope they do well, and I look forward to seeing the finished turnings.

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 8:32 PM
Both look great Donny. I leave box elder soak in DNA at least 2 days.

Ray McGrath
04-04-2010, 8:44 PM
I made 2 of these today and they both turned out well.I also added about 12 pen blanks as well.Right now they are in a DNA bath.I hope they all turn out good because they sure are pretty.What do you think?
Donny
that is some beautiful wood! Question, what is a DNA bath?

Ray

David E Keller
04-04-2010, 8:49 PM
Great looking wood, Donny.

Roland Martin
04-04-2010, 8:53 PM
Like the others, that is some nice looking wood. Anxious to see the finished turning.

Donny Lawson
04-04-2010, 9:41 PM
DNA( Denatured Alcohol) Bath is just putting your wet roughed out bowls in a container and letting them soak. It brings out the water faster so they can be turned and finished sooner.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Donny - gonna be a great looking bowl once it is finished!

Jeff Fagen
04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Does the red color disappear after drying?

Wayne Leach
04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Donny,
That wood looks fantastic and look forward to seeing the completed bowl.

Wayne

Donny Lawson
04-05-2010, 6:29 AM
No, the red color should stay with the bowl when finished.If you want to see alot more of this wood look up www.powdercreeksawmill.com. (http://www.powdercreeksawmill.com.)
They have some beautiful wood.The color is put in there by the "Box Elder bug".There is a female and male Box Elder Tree.The bugs prefer the female tree for some reason.Do a little search for "Box Elder Bugs"or Box Elder Trees and you will find out alot of info. on them.The "RED" color is spectacular in the wood.
Donny

charlie knighton
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
the red color in box elder will fade from exposure to direct or indirect sunlight, it fades faster with direct sunlight

John Keeton
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Charlie, that is a good conformation of my general thought that all wood fades over time, and that form overrides the color and texture of the wood to a large degree. Notwithstanding that, it sure is neat to do a piece from colorful wood!! The burls and other "figured" woods will hold some of that character much longer, and I guess that is why I like working with them.