PDA

View Full Version : Question Re Chisel Blade Thickness

Tom LaRussa
11-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Okay, for all you folks who have high quality, bevel edged chisels, how thick are the blades at their thickest?

I'm gathering old (and new) tool steel because I want to make myself some chisels, so I need to know how thick a good quality chisel tends to be. The type of chisels I want to make at the moment are some butt length, bevel edged jobbers for cutting dovetails and general use.

I'm going to try to post a poll with this thread so folks can just click on the thickness of their own chisels.

Joel Moskowitz
11-11-2004, 1:28 PM
I don't think it matters -thicker ususally being better except for paring chisels where you want some flexibity, The key is the side bevels.

Tom LaRussa
11-11-2004, 1:37 PM
The key is the side bevels.
What about the side bevels???

Derek Cohen
11-14-2004, 11:56 AM
More sharply defined side bevels (i.e. no side walls) are better when paring dovetail joints.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom LaRussa
11-14-2004, 12:31 PM
More sharply defined side bevels (i.e. no side walls) are better when paring dovetail joints.

Regards from Perth

Derek
AH!

I should have thought of that. :o

Thanks Derek. :)

Alan Turner
11-14-2004, 8:07 PM
I have an old 3/8" Butcher, picked it up without a handle for $3, put an old handle on it, and then filed the fist inch so te bevel, about 30 degrees, is down to zero. Works well for paring into the tail corners.
Alan

Mark Singer
11-14-2004, 8:44 PM
I have an 1/8"and even a 1/16" they are handy for the smaller dovetails

Bryan Danner
11-15-2004, 8:19 PM
I'm confused. Are you wanting to know the thickness or the width of our favorite chisels? Based upon the responses, I don't think that I'm the only one who is confused.

-Bryan

Tom LaRussa
11-16-2004, 1:02 AM
I'm confused. Are you wanting to know the thickness or the width of our favorite chisels? Based upon the responses, I don't think that I'm the only one who is confused.

-Bryan
Hi Bryan,

I'm afraid I did not word my request very well. :o

I wanted to know the average thickness of everybodys' favorite set of bevel-edged chisels. I'm planning to make my own set of chisels, so I wanted to know how thick is thick enough?

Since Derek succeeded in posting the chisel review that Dennis mentioned, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13701 , I now have that data for most of the major brands, so my question is sort of moot.