PDA

View Full Version : What would you use a 24" Disston Backsaw for?

Tony Shea
04-04-2010, 4:07 PM
I was at the Tool Barn a week or so ago and was checking out some of their saws. The backsaw stock was very low and I happened to looking for one. I finally came across an old Disston backsaw that was in excellent condition. The proble with it was its' size, 24" long across the blade + however long the handle was. I didn't get it as it was just far too big for my needs. Now I can't stop thinking about it as it was very inexpensive for the condition it was in like $14 and I mean it was in imaculate condition. I just wouldn't use the thing.

Does anyone use a 24" long backsaw and if so what are you cutting with this mammoth? Does it belong in a miter box of sorts or is there other uses? I'm a newby in this so called slippery slope so bear with me.

Pedder Petersen
04-04-2010, 4:16 PM
The proble with it was its' size, 24" long across the blade + however long the handle was. I didn't get it as it was just far too big for my needs. Now I can't stop thinking about it as it was very inexpensive for the condition it was in like $14 and I mean it was in imaculate condition. I just wouldn't use the thing.

Hi Tony,

These saws were used in big mitre boxes. I've thought about buying a 20" exemplar and use it as a big tenon saw. But these saws have very fine teeth in relation to their length. One would have to retooth them. And the saw Plate ist quite thick, 1,0mm. For a tenon saw anything between 0,6mm und 0,8mm is the best.

Best wishes
Pedder

Matt Ranum
04-04-2010, 6:49 PM
Yup, mitre box is where mine goes.

David Weaver
04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I was at the Tool Barn a week or so ago and was checking out some of their saws. The backsaw stock was very low and I happened to looking for one. I finally came across an old Disston backsaw that was in excellent condition. The proble with it was its' size, 24" long across the blade + however long the handle was. I didn't get it as it was just far too big for my needs. Now I can't stop thinking about it as it was very inexpensive for the condition it was in like $14 and I mean it was in imaculate condition. I just wouldn't use the thing.

Does anyone use a 24" long backsaw and if so what are you cutting with this mammoth? Does it belong in a miter box of sorts or is there other uses? I'm a newby in this so called slippery slope so bear with me.

They are ungainly to use out of mitre boxes. My dad has some brand of mitre with a 30 inch saw, I think it's a stanley, and he's managed to avoid sharpening saws by continuing to find more of them at flea markets. He gave one he found for $2 to me to sharpen and keep if I wanted it. It was a real bear to make any test cuts at all with it, and I'd feel pretty confident in saying they're not suitable for anything other than work in the mitre box. All that weight plus a thick plate plus no set is not a good recipe for freehand cuts.

Of course, if you don't have a the box and table the saw came with you could easily make a fixed miter box with some hardwood and use the saw with good success. Be quite good for crosscuts that way if you don't like the results you get freehand.

Don C Peterson
04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Although the big backsaws were intended primarily for use in miter boxes, I have three of them and use them occasionally for freehand cuts. I find the weight and length to be somewhat beneficial when cutting largish tenons.

David Weaver
04-05-2010, 1:12 PM
Although the big backsaws were intended primarily for use in miter boxes, I have three of them and use them occasionally for freehand cuts. I find the weight and length to be somewhat beneficial when cutting largish tenons.

Do you use the 24-32" variety saws for that? Maybe my view of it is tainted some because the smallest one I've tried it with was the 30" saw, which is big in every measure - length, height, thickness, and especially weight. I usually prefer a larger saw, too. I could see how one in the 20" range would be reasonable for use.

Don C Peterson
04-05-2010, 1:44 PM
I usually reach for my 26" Disston for larger freehand cuts, I do have a 30", but don't find that it makes it any easier. The 26" is generally my favorite of the three, just because it tracks straight and true, the others are good, but that one is nearly perfect in terms of being tuned up.

Don't get me wrong, I use my dovetail saw for fine work, and I most often grab one of my 12" back saws for most joinery work, but sometimes the extra length and weight of the bigger saws, is just what I'm looking for.