PDA

View Full Version : New Box - Start of the Asian Series

Shawn Pixley
04-04-2010, 3:57 PM
I took a class yesterday on Box-making with David Blackburn. I usually build much bigger projects and wanted to try something different. Great instructor and classmates. Everyone built in a different style from Simple and classic to inlayed petrified wood. I created sort of asian inspired representative design. So here is the progress photos. Sanded with a coat of BLO drying.

I plan on spraying some lacquer when the BLO cures. I'll post better photos after finishing.

glenn bradley
04-04-2010, 4:12 PM
Very cool. Me likey. What are the woods?

Shawn Pixley
04-04-2010, 4:46 PM
Bubinga, Sapele, Maple, Buckeye burl and Bamboo

John Keeton
04-04-2010, 5:52 PM
Nice work, and a great combination of color and texture!

John Thompson
04-04-2010, 9:41 PM
Very nice piece and great contrast Shawn. Looks as if you get your money's worth with the class. Boxes are fun.. at least with the set I did a while back. I mainly do carcass but someday I hope to do more and finally do a little scrolling... maybe. :)

Great job...

Shawn Pixley
04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you all for the nice compliments. The box making class is definitely a change of pace for me as well. It seem remarkable to essentially complete a project in a single day.

Typically I work everything out in my head or on paper before I start cutting. Saturday, I had the box fairly well constructed before I determined how I was going to "decorate" it. I considered two-three different approaches before landing on this choice. It also stretched me to think of working with more than two species of wood and how to do an representational design using natural materials. A great change of pace from the cabinets I an in the midst of finishing and the guitar display case that will be next.

Jim Rimmer
04-05-2010, 1:01 PM
That is a great looking box! Is the inlay actually 3-D or do my eyes deceive me?

Kent Parker
04-05-2010, 1:16 PM
Very nice. Great dimensions.

Kent

Shawn Pixley
04-05-2010, 9:23 PM
Yes, I was trying a relief technique. so there is some serious dimensionality there. Really tiny pieces of maple.