PDA

View Full Version : I need some veneering advice

Michael Drew
04-04-2010, 2:04 PM
Hi –

I have not worked with veneer before. The closest thing to it is laminate. I’ve been doing some research at Joe Woodworker and other sights. I really don’t want to get into veneering to the point where I need to use vacuum bags / pumps and build tables for this. I rarely have a need to veneer, like now. And I’m also afraid that if I really get into veneering, I’ll just end up spending another couple grand on stuff I rarely use.

I have this sub woofer that came with a vinyl covering over the case, which is 1” MDF. I don’t like the vinyl and want to cover it with cherry veneer. I bought a 4’ X 8’ sheet of straight grain paper backed veneer and some water based contact cement from 3M. The guys at the cabinet shop recommended this particular contact cement, so I went with it.

This particular case is wedge shaped. It is 46” tall, 16” deep, 12” wide in the rear and 14” wide in the front. The leading (front) side corners are mitered to transition to the sides. See picture below.

I would like to ‘roll’ the veneer around the corners, as I doubt I can trim the edges very well by hand or with a flush trim router bit because of the non-90 deg corners. I’m not certain I can do this without cracking or splitting the veneer. It’s pretty darn thin and feels pliable, but I just don’t know if what I would like to do will work or not. If it is possible to roll the veneer from the front to the back of the subwoofer, I would just glue it to the top / bottem / back and trim it. I haven't decided if I should do the front / sides first or last and could use some advice on that point as well.

Before I completely screw this undertaking up, I figured I better ask for advice. How would you do this particular job?

Thanks.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/mdrew/20100404-P4046219.jpg

Ron Carlton
04-04-2010, 3:24 PM
You cannot roll the veneer around the corners. It will crack. With a sharp knife and careful sanding you can do a very good job on corners. A good trick is to round the corners with sandpaper before finishing the project. You don't want knife edges.

This website (http://www.voltiaudio.com/index.shtml) has several projects that used veneer to restore some old Klipsch speakers. Greg does a great job walking you through each step.