PDA

View Full Version : flat surface for sharpening chisels/irons etc...

Brian Matthews
11-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Howdy all,

I have seen many threads in the 'Creek discussing the various surfaces that one may use as a flat base for sharpening, ranging from jointer beds, tablesaw extensions (iron), to float glass.

My question is this: Is there any reason to NOT use tempered glass? I have access to a good sized piece (24" x 32" x1/2") thats seems to me to be perfect for this use.

Does tempering affect how smooth/level the surface of the glass is enough to affect sharpening on it? I can not detect any uneveness (is that a word?) when I place a straight edge on it.

I know that there is some internal tension in the glass from the tempering process, but don't think there are any major safety concerns with this, other than the obvious ones when handling glass.

If this tempered glass is suitable for me to use, then I guess this thread is also a small gloat!

Brian

Tom LaRussa
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
If this tempered glass is suitable for me to use, then I guess this thread is also a small gloat!
Brian,

If you can't find any flaws with a straight edge then I see absolutely no problems using it.

Gloat away! :D

Tom

p.s. If you decide to break the glass for whatever reason, be sure not to put any pieces in your eyes, mouth, etc, as doing so really smarts. :p ;)