PDA

View Full Version : Source for brass knob/tote screws???

Mark Buchanan
04-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I have 2 planes that have been undergoing restoration for a couple of years. I have either used the screws on other planes or just lost them. Does anyone know of a source for replacements?

Thanks
Mark

Jim Koepke
04-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Mark,

There are a few folks who sell parts to check.

Walt at Brass City Records, Bob Kaune and Patrick Leach come to mind.

My practice is to keep permanent searches on ebay for; Stanley parts - Plane iron, blade and cutter - Lever cap and a few other items that interest me.

Also be aware that different planes use different length hardware. Stanley used different threads than other makers. For most of the planes the threads are 12-20. Not a common size. If you need the toe screw for the larger tote used on the #5 and other large planes, a frog screw is the same thread and can be used. I filed one down to make it look and feel better.

jim

Mark Buchanan
04-04-2010, 2:34 PM
Thanks Jim. They are actually Millers Falls planes. I know some of the screws are special made. I had a # 8 a few years ago that had a very strange tote screw. It was a no name plane. It also had a different frog than most Stanley or copies.

Mark

Jim Koepke
04-04-2010, 3:52 PM
Thanks Jim. They are actually Millers Falls planes. I know some of the screws are special made. I had a # 8 a few years ago that had a very strange tote screw. It was a no name plane. It also had a different frog than most Stanley or copies.

Mark

You are welcome.

One tool that you might find very handy is a thread gauge. This will let you know how may threads per inch you need. A thread gauge and a way of measuring the size of screw it is on will come in handy. Knowing that will be a lot of help when looking for parts or if you have to make your own.

jim