PDA

View Full Version : Owners poll-Nova 16/24-44

Bart Leetch
04-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Could the owners of the Nova 16/24-44 lathe please put up a review of their lathe here. Thank you.

Bob Borzelleri
04-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Hmmm...

Maybe we could all do a chain review where someone starts with one comment and everybody adds bits and pieces along the way.:D

Actually, I was thinking about doing a 4 month review so after we get back from Easter brunch, I'll kick something off.

Mike McAfee
04-04-2010, 12:08 PM
This was a thread from about a year ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106785

I bought my 1624 just over a week ago and so far I'm quite pleased! I'll try to post a few more comments later!

GLENN THOMAS
04-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Bart,

I have the 1624 and have been using it for about two years now. If I had to do it all over again I would still buy another one, but if my budget was bigger would get something like a Powermatic of Oneway. For $1,100 dollars or so there is nothing out there that can beat it. As my abilities have improved over the past few years I've been able to make wider and harder cuts and the 1.5 hp motor has never had any trouble keeping up with me. I rotate the headstock every time I work on the inside of a bowl or box and have never had any issues with alignment to the tail stock when I turn it back. Changing speed is not much trouble either, it takes just a few seconds to move the belt. The slowest speed is about 200 RPMs and so far has been slow enough to rough out large blanks, If I have a blank that looks like it might be out of balance too much Ill just eyeball it and balance it as best I can with a chain saw and the lowest speed has never been too high for me.

There are a few things that I don't like but nothing that I can't live with. The tool rest is square on the bottom corners and you have to be careful when you are working on the inside of a bowl. They could gouge out or scratch you bowl if you accidentally bump it. If the bottom corners were cut back at an angle or rounded off you could get the tool rest deeper in the bowl. There is not an easy way to add ballast to the stand, but there are ways to do it. There needs to be a remote switch but I heard Teknatool is working on one. The biggest issue for me is the cover on the headstock, if its not closed and tightened just right it makes a some noise. If you choose to get one be sure to assemble it exactly like the instructions say to, Ive heard of some people having issues with the pulleys only to find out they didn't put it together right.

If you have any specific questions about it just let me know.

Bob Haverstock
04-04-2010, 5:22 PM
Bart,

I've had mine for 6 weeks. Simply put, I like it, and would recommend it to anyone who is value conscience. My next accessory will be the hinge for my bed extension.

I hope we hear from others.

Bob Haverstock

Paul Douglass
04-04-2010, 7:19 PM
I agree with what Glenn says. I guess I was lucky though, the pulleys were on mine when it came. The door over the pulleys is a little mickey mouse and as he says if you don't tighten it down it rattles. I've been tempted to remove mine but I haven't. The tool rest is poor in my opinion and I have purchased others. One other little problem I had, the legs are hollow and every time I dropped something little it found it's way down one of the legs. Had to remove the leg twice to retrieve the item. I have sense covered the tops of the legs with duct tape.

Fred Perreault
04-04-2010, 8:16 PM
I've had my Nova 16-24 for about 14 months. It was a very big improvement from my Sears monotube. My technique has improved measurably with the unit, and the lathe has been trouble free. I took the "hybrid" legs off soon after I got it ($999 on sale at WC)and built a solid 360lb stand of 4" angle iron. I am unhappy with the switch location, and the access door for the belt adjustment was way too awkward. Instead of having the door open towards the motor, I took the door off, removed the hinge pin, and the hinge from the door, and reattached the door to the low, back of the headstock casting with a brass hinge and some machine screws through holes drilled into the headstock casting. The door now opens back, away from the operator. I like it like that. No fumbling with the door, tee bar lock, and belts all at the same time. In any event, it has always been quick to swap the belts, and seems an easy exchange for the co$$t of variable speed. I found a source for drive belts for the lathe, and I got 6 for less than $25. The reason I got 6 was because the original belt seemed to get chewed up pretty quickly. The new ones are one rib narrower than the originals, and seem to track and last better. In summary, I am very happy with the machine, especially considering the original cost/feature set. Some day, maybe a bigger, better unit, but there has not been a need yet.

kenneth walker
04-04-2010, 8:24 PM
I would also like to hear from everyone on this lathe as I am waiting till it goes on sale to purchase one. Paul can you fill the legs with sand?

Mike Minto
04-04-2010, 8:31 PM
Hmmm...

Maybe we could all do a chain review where someone starts with one comment and everybody adds bits and pieces along the way.:D

Actually, I was thinking about doing a 4 month review so after we get back from Easter brunch, I'll kick something off.

I must be hallucinating (again) - I don't have the slightest idea what the above quote means (sorry). Anyway, the 1624-44 I had was my first lathe, and it's a great one as long as you accept it's limitations. Great power, good price; not having variable speed was a major drag and it's not too stable without alot of modifications. It is what it is, and ain't what it ain't.

Paul Douglass
04-04-2010, 9:49 PM
I would also like to hear from everyone on this lathe as I am waiting till it goes on sale to purchase one. Paul can you fill the legs with sand?

I've read somewhere that someone did that. No reason why you couldn't. Sand or cement.

Scott Hackler
04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I have this lathe and have been using it for quite some time now. It was my first lathe (though not a complete newbie on a lathe). I bought it through several recommendations and reviews and at the time WoodCraft had a free shipping with $899 for the lathe.

In a nut shell, great lathe. Very powerfull, reverse mode, easy and quick speed changes and a rotating headstock. I dont regret it one little bit and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Although it would be nice to have a little more weight to it, it is manageable with the stock legs.

As far as capacity... I have maxed out the turning radius a few times and turned a 15 1/2" x 9" bowl and its little brother, and no problems. I would highly recommend the lathe and a SuperNova2 chuck to go with it.

In the far future I can see a want (not a need) for a bigger more powerful lathe like the Powermatic, just because I like to turn very large things and the shear mass would calm down vibrations on very heavy projects. But until then, I can turn any chunk of wood I want on my Nova 1624.

Lance kanaby
04-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Hello Bob Haverstock:

I have an older Nova 3000 with the 1 HP Leeson DC motor and controller. I think that the tailstock on this model stinks because it is not all that stable.

A few weeks ago I purchased a used Nova 1644 that looked brand new off craigslist. I was told that the lathe was in like new condition. When we got there to look at the lathe he plug the power in and tried it, all the motor did was make a growling noise. He was asking $600.00 and I was hoping to pick it up for $500.00. I told him I was still interested in his lathe and he asked me to make him an offer so I said $300.0 and said sold.

We packed the lathe up as the legs were off and the belt was missing, but he said that it was on order would call when it came in. To make a long story short, when we took a more serious look at the motor and to put the belt on we found that the lathe was laying on its side and the motor pulley was scraping on the housing. That was the entire problem!

Anyways, my question to you is why would you want your next accessory will be the hinge for my bed extension? I know that I want to add the bed extention, but was wondering about the extention. I will be doing hollow forms as I have the Kelton rig withe laser setup with the set 5/8" boring bars. I also have the Woodcut Proforme Hollowers.

I also want to make a better lathe stand for this machine and see how it works out. If this works well for me I will sell the Nova 3000, but will take off the outboard turning setup and put it on the Nova 1644

Thank you,
Lance Kanaby
Tonawanda, NY

Bart,

I've had mine for 6 weeks. Simply put, I like it, and would recommend it to anyone who is value conscience. My next accessory will be the hinge for my bed extension.

I hope we hear from others.

Bob Haverstock

Richard Madden
04-04-2010, 11:13 PM
I bought my 1624-44 in Oct. of 2007 and have no regrets. Originally I thought about a mini type like a Rikon or Jet, but the review in FWW convinced me to go with the Nova. The speed range, swivel head, reverse, swing and small footprint were the top features for me. Changing speed doesn't take long...maybe 30 seconds tops and I'm still using the original belt and this lathe is used almost daily. Sure, mine has bounced around a few times from out of balance stock, and a remote switch would be nice, but all in all it's a great lathe for the price. Like I said, no regrets.
Rich

Bob Haverstock
04-05-2010, 7:30 AM
Lance,

Let me try to answer. I have a chuck for it, the lathe came with a bed extention, I have a Jeff Nicol steadyrest adapted to fit it, and I have a shopbuilt captive hollowing rig for it. I have most of th chisels that I want.

One of my pet peeves is having to set any thing on the floor, makes my by back hurt.[ Once I set something on the floor there is a good chance that I will stumble over it. Tailstocks setting on the floor are unstable at best. When they are knocked over, there is paint loss.

When I'm using the hollowing rig the tailstock has to be removed as it interferes with the tail end of the rig. See above paragraph.

If I could slide the tailstock and tool rest onto the swing away bed extention, I could install or remove the steadyrest with out removing the other two components.

Bob

QUOTE=Lance kanaby;1391885]Hello Bob Haverstock:
Anyways, my question to you is why would you want your next accessory will be the hinge for my bed extension? I know that I want to add the bed extention, but was wondering about the extention. I will be doing hollow forms as I have the Kelton rig withe laser setup with the set 5/8" boring bars. I also have the Woodcut Proforme Hollowers.

I also want to make a better lathe stand for this machine and see how it works out. If this works well for me I will sell the Nova 3000, but will take off the outboard turning setup and put it on the Nova 1644

Thank you,
Lance Kanaby
Tonawanda, NY[/QUOTE]

Frank Frazier
04-05-2010, 9:48 AM
Bart, I have had my 1624 for about 5 weeks. In the past 2 weeks I have gotten a couple of hours a day to turn so I am still getting to know it.

So far it has lived up to all expectations. I came close to getting the Jet 1624 but after reading reviews here on the Creek along with the FWW review I went with the Nova.

The tool rest is ok but I just got some nifty sleeve adapters from PSI that let you take a 5/8" tool rest and use it on a lathe with a 1" tool post like the nova. I have several home build rests I made for my Jet Mini that I can now use.

One trick the guy at WC recommended that I did was to mount a small cheap mirror on the wall behind the lathe directly behind the belts. Makes changing speed a lot easier, you can see if you have the belt on straight without bending over.

So far I have not gone beyond a 10" bowl.

If this thread continues I will contribute to a "3month" update. It looks like several of the folks posting here have just bought their Nova's.

-Frank

Paul Douglass
04-05-2010, 2:19 PM
Question, I'm not sure about this remote switch people are talking about. What is that for? Is it a switch you can put on different places on the lathe?

Michael Mills
04-05-2010, 3:05 PM
I have had mine for over a year and so far no problems.

Weight – To start with I did get more "rock ‘n roll" but after adjusting the legs per Lyle Jamieson’s video I have had no real concerns. I have not added ballast but lots of people do.

Door – I added weather strip (thin) around the top edge to quite any vibration sounds.

Changing Speed – Since I can’t get to the rear of my lathe due to space limitations,
I removed the front "speed indicator plate?" and added strip magnets to the back.
It is held firmly but is easily removed when changing the belt to the lowest speed. (Allows you to move the belt with a finger from the front side.)

Tool Rest – I have no problem with it the way it is, but I did purchase one with the lip (finger guide?) at the top. For most turning I use the Nova one, for other (such as a spindle or detail) I use the Delta or Jet style one to help control the depth of cut.

1+ on checking the setscrew on the spindle pulley, this was the only problem I have encountered.

The biggest plus for me is the swiveling headstock. It is a lot more comfortable hollowing out when it is rotated out to the 22.5 angle.

I do not have a remote controller but I did put on an emergency shut-off at the right hand end. I got mine from Grizzly, it was about $13 and rated for 2 hp and 35 amps.

BTW – Fred P. Where did you get your belts? I do not need six but some members of my club also have the 1624 so maybe we could do a group buy. My original belt is still fine with no bad wear showing but you never know…

Mike

GLENN THOMAS
04-05-2010, 7:21 PM
Just thinking about putting sand in the legs for weight. If the legs were completely full I would be surprised if that added even 20 pounds and I think that would be pushing it. It really doesn't seem worth the trouble to me. Besides I'm wondering of the sand would cause problems with the threads the feet screw into. Just my opinion.

Joe Mioux
04-05-2010, 8:34 PM
I too have this lathe.

I like it. The door isn't really a problem. Just open the screw far enough so the door hinge fully seats on the screw.

Changing belts is sort of a pain, but that is because I have no patience. :rolleyes: seriously, it isn't bad. I like the mirror idea!.

I did have some problems with the pulleys moving, but a little locktite (red tube) per teknatool customer service and that problem is resolved.

if the pulleys are not lined up, the belts get chewed up. so that is pretty important.

would I buy it again, yea. do I want a more expensive lathe with variable speed yea.

joe

Ray Bell
04-05-2010, 8:44 PM
Question, I'm not sure about this remote switch people are talking about. What is that for? Is it a switch you can put on different places on the lathe?

Paul,

While you were cruising on the aircraft carrier I asked this same question. Seems it is a wireless remote on/off switch that you could mount anywhere on the lathe. The problem seems to be that Technatool has been talking about this being available for a long time.

Bob Haverstock
04-06-2010, 8:53 AM
Michael,

I haven't seen that video, but having all four feet making solid contact with the floor really help take the shake out of things. As I have said elsewhere, I have no plans for adding ballast. If I did, it would be lead in the legs.

I also hope that Fred will post the belt vendor and the product number.

Bob Haverstock

Weight – To start with I did get more "rock ‘n roll" but after adjusting the legs per Lyle Jamieson’s video I have had no real concerns. I have not added ballast but lots of people do.

Door – I added weather strip (thin) around the top edge to quite any vibration sounds.

It is held firmly but is easily removed when changing the belt to the lowest speed. (Allows you to move the belt with a finger from the front side.)

1+ on checking the setscrew on the spindle pulley, this was the only problem I have encountered.

BTW – Fred P. Where did you get your belts? I do not need six but some members of my club also have the 1624 so maybe we could do a group buy. My original belt is still fine with no bad wear showing but you never know…

Mike

Bob Hampton
04-06-2010, 1:47 PM
well ill join in here to i guess ...upgraded in january to this lathe from a hf34706 that i turned on for 10yrs.
very happy with it and nice to have reverse and slow speed.
regets: wish i could have afforded the bed extention so i wouldnt have to take the tail stock all the time when doing hollowing.
wish i had a better tool rest
wish they still made the vacume chuck adapter for the handwheel and the handwheel.
if i had a chance to do all over again i would get those items ..other then that its a great lathe..i have turned out of balance large blanks just fine ..start at low speed till i get it round and then turn it up ..no vibration and no walking.
Bob

Steve Harder
04-06-2010, 4:36 PM
wish they still made the vacume chuck adapter for the handwheel and the handwheel.

Bob

Bob - a 42mm double sealed motor bearing fits very nicely into the handwheel slot - I also got a brass threaded to hose barb adapter that I turned threads down slightly - epoxied into bearing - drilled two new set screws into handwheel - and have excellent shopvac style adapter (that should work fine with vac pump also). Total cost was $8 at local machine shop.

Gordon Seto
04-06-2010, 5:54 PM
wish i could have afforded the bed extention so i wouldnt have to take the tail stock all the time when doing hollowing.

That is what the swiveling headstock is for. If you don't need the tail stock, just swivel the headstock a little, no more bending forward in hollowing.
This alignment tool would bring back the headstock in alignment real easy.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=113121&Category_Code=lathes-acc-mrstool
This is a double edge sword. The weight of the tail stock assembly is usually in proportion to the quality of the lathe.
Don't know which is more expensive: bed extension or this swing away accessory?
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Swing_away/Swing_away.htm

Wayne Spence
04-09-2010, 1:26 PM

Mike

Can you tell me what video of Lyle Jamiesons the leg adjustment is on?

Steven Marcus
03-31-2018, 11:10 PM
I'm been looking for the same video with no luck

Michael Mills
04-01-2018, 7:58 AM
Wow! Have I set a record for delay in responding to a question (from Wayne); almost eight (8) years.

Anyway, the video in question is here.... still holds true.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=dvds-author-jamieson
Here a link to much newer (5+ years) youtube video which covers it somewhat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWYEPfqRet8

Mount an unbalanced work piece, adjust one foot with the lathe running until the vibration/shaking is at a minimum. It doesn't matter which foot but the front right should be the easiest. You can feel and hear the change as you adjust it. If you go too far it can start seesawing on the other set of legs.

To update other. I did replace the belt one time. Also replaced the keeper plate ($1 retail) probably from me forgetting to lock the quill each time or maybe just wear from drilling.
No other problems. Oh, still haven't added ballast.

richard shelby
04-01-2018, 8:25 AM
I've been turning on my Nova 16-24 for about a year. Every day. I've turned perhaps 100+ bowls, etc. It's a definite upgrade from my Rikon midi which went to a good home. I did not assemble the stand that came with the unit, but rather mounted it on a mobile base made of wood which had substantial mass to counter vibration. It has casters and tool storage, made by my uncle so there is also provenance. Mobility is a absolute necessity in my small shop, since I can move it outside to deal with dust and chips more easily. This also gives me full access to the back side of the lathe which makes changing speed easy. I've added some other essential extras: curved tool rest, 8" screw faceplate, hand wheel, and a "Super Nova" chuck essential for turning large bowls. The greatest improvement over the old Midi is the 360 degree rotating head. I can rotate the head 270 and put the banjo around on the back side. This allows me to true up a blank larger than 16" and take it down to 15+" so that it can sit over the bed and be finished. Even spending a few$ on these extras it's still a good value. I've never stalled it, but I have made the belt slip when I get a "catch". No big deal. Changing speeds is easy since every lathe I've ever owned had similar belt drives. If I win the lottery, I'll pick up a variable speed unit (You can add one to the 16-24). You can also add bed extensions and lot's of other stuff, but for the time being, this 16-24 is all I'll ever need. I'm 70 Y.O. and this will probably be my last lathe.

mike falconer
04-01-2018, 9:43 AM
Richard, do you have a picture of your stand? I think I'm going to be upgrading as soon as my tax return shows up. i really like the idea of a mobile stand with some storage, as I too am limited on space.

richard shelby
04-01-2018, 6:16 PM
382874 Just takes a long time to load....