PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Detectors

Peter Stahl
04-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Time to replace my smoke detectors, one just continues to chirp even with a new battery. All came with the house a little over 10 years ago. I have 7 BRK Model# 4120B and the replacement 9120B doesn't get good reviews. Which model do you you like? I'm leaning toward the Kidde PI2010 Smoke Alarm Dual Sensor with Battery Backup, White. Any help is welcomed. Also do they all have to be the same brand to work together? Thanks for any and all replies.

Brian Elfert
04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Smoke detectors are supposed to be replaced every 10 years. CO detectors at 7 years. I know not many people do this unless they are forced to.

I have Kidde combo smoke/CO detectors. They will start beeping once they hit 7 years old. Maybe your units also start beeping at end of life. My detectors have all been replaced once since they were installed in fall 2001. I think at least one failed prematurely.

I like the Kidde units I use except for the price. They are around $45 each. They do chew through backup batteries. Even the $7 lithium 9 volts only last 2 years, I asked Kidde why they go through batteries since they are 110 volt and Kidde said the battery is tested every minute which uses up the battery.