PDA

View Full Version : I need 7 mattresses, box springs & frames, any suggestions on what to buy

dennis thompson
04-04-2010, 9:14 AM
We're looking at a vacation home & we'll need 7 mattress sets,( 6 twin & one queen), does anyone have any suggestions as to which are the best mattress sets to buy at a reasonable price? Obviously we won't be sleeping on it every night.
Thanks
Dennis

Brian Elfert
04-04-2010, 9:22 AM
You might check pricing at Sam's Club or Costco.

I bought custom innerspring mattresses for bunk beds in a motorhome at a local place called Original Mattress Factory. They actually make the mattresses on-site in their own factory. Most large cities have a place like this.

For mattresses that get limited use you don't have to worry so much about how long they will last. The comfort and proper firmness of the mattress will be most important.

John Shuk
04-04-2010, 9:32 AM
I wouldn't go to sleepy's. I'd stick with Sears Sam's Costco or BJ's

Mike Archambeau
04-04-2010, 2:26 PM
http://norwalkmattress.com/

Having an April sale...........

Chris Kennedy
04-04-2010, 5:55 PM
You might try looking at futons. You can get futons with spring units in them and they feel great in my opinion. They don't last as long as a mattress usually, but since you aren't going to be using them as much. They also tend to be considerably cheaper.

Cheers,

Chris

Glen Butler
04-04-2010, 8:02 PM
IMO, International Bedding makes a very comfortable mattress at a great price. If you can find a dealer in your area.

Matt Meiser
04-04-2010, 8:19 PM
I'd check Denver Mattress as well. We got our last one there. After 6 years we wanted something softer and ended up with a high end Sealy, but we seriously considered another Denver. We've got couches from their sister store in our family room that are holding up nicely too--enough so that we went there for our living room too.

Sandy Smith
04-04-2010, 9:31 PM
IKEA, we purchased one and it has held up just fine. Since you are only using them part time you may be very happy. The cost is crazy low. Take a look you may be surprised.

Jim Becker
04-04-2010, 9:34 PM
I agree with Sandy...the mattresses from Ikea are pretty darn nice for the money. Both my daughters sleep on them.

Jim Finn
04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Ask an owner of a Motel.. They should know of a good source for beds.

Paul Atkins
04-04-2010, 11:26 PM
What is the purpose of a box spring anyway? Mostly air and not much support for the mattress.

dennis thompson
04-05-2010, 6:37 AM
Thanks for the advice. While poking around on the internet I looked at 1800 Mattress & just to get a feel for them I put together an order for 7 of their lowest priced sets(mattress, box spring & frame ) & got a quote for $2900. I then went to their chat room & asked for a discount & they offered a $175 discount. We chatted a while, I said it was too much, she said what did you want to spend , I said $2000 & she eventually said OK! This was a discount of about 31%. I thought I was a pretty good negotiator & told my wife who immediately dismissed it saying "we are not buying any cheap mattresses". You see in my house I make all the major decisions like what will the tax policy for the country be?, should we approve health care reform for the country?, should interest rates be raised? while my wife makes all the small decisions like should we buy a new house, where should we live, do we need a new car & of course, what mattresses will we buy for our house.;)
Dennis

Kevin Groenke
04-05-2010, 5:54 PM
Mattresses are the ultimate rip-off. Bought an expensive (~$900, MSRP more like $20000) name-brand "pillow-top" mattress about 4 years ago, we're terribly disappointed that it has serious depressions where our bodies lie and I occasionally suffer from back pain to which I think this contributes. Of course this mattress is one sided, so cannot be flipped for even wear.

When I replace I'm getting the cheapest thing I can find that has the firmness I like and has the least amount of "padding" between the springs and my body. Surely it is the paddding that wears out, not the springs.

My first stop will be IKEA.

Where do hotels REALLY get mattresses? There is no way hotels change all their mattresses every 5 years, and I've never seen a mattress in a hotel as bad as our 4 year old mattress is now.

-kg

Pat Germain
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I recently bought a mattress at Costco and got a spectacular deal. It was just over $400 and would have cost me well over $1,000 anywhere else.

In my research, I found most mattresses are no longer two-sided. You can't flip them. I also found every mattress store carries very similar products, but they have different names and model numbers. Therefore, you can't say, "I saw the same mattress down the road for less money." They will just tell you it's a different mattress, which is technically true, but not really.

Matt, I didnt' know Denver Mattress was outside Colorado. Good to know they make a good product.