PDA

View Full Version : Radial Arm Saw - Worth the effort?

Kev Godwin
04-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Today my elderly neighbor lady asked me to take her late husband's 1980"s radial arm saw along with some other items I already agreed to buy from her as she gets ready to go to an independent living apartment.

I bought mostly some lawn and outdoors items from her for $50. She insisted that I had to take the RAS too. In my garage I now have a Craftsman model 113.197802. It came with the stand / drawers and the manuals too. It clearly hasn't been used much. In the drawers were 2 unused dado sets and a molding set. The nice lady told me her late husband thought he wanted to try woodworking and used it for about "... 2 or 3 weeks after work and quit". Other than some sawdust, it looks to be new.

Can anyone offer me some reason(s) to even keep this heavy beast? I already have a Makita LS1013 sliding compound miter saw I use often. (I realize this isn't a RAS of deWalt fame.) Thanks for any comments!
Kev

Glen Butler
04-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Well Kev, there are basically two types of people in this world. Those who need an RAS and those who don't. For me it is a time saver and a sanity saver being able to flip the saw on and rough cut all my pieces as opposed to a SCMS having to pull a trigger and let the saw spool up each time.

Setting up an RAS is a PITA and once you get it square you won't want to move it. So it really only has one use, though the makers of them will tell you how great and versatile they are.

Jeff Bratt
04-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Radial arm saw discussions are only slightly less polarizing than SawStop discussions. You can find passionate views both pro and con. I happen to have used a similar RAS (http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Ejeffnann/WoodWorking/Shop/Shop.html#Radial_Arm_Saw) exclusively for years. Now I also have a table saw, but really appreciate having a second saw available, especially when my table saw is set up for dados or bevel cuts. I use my RAs very successfully for miter cuts (http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Ejeffnann/WoodWorking/JigsAndFixtures/JigsAndFixtures.html#Miter_Fixture_for_the_Radial_ Arm_Saw) and other special setups (http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Ejeffnann/WoodWorking/JigsAndFixtures/JigsAndFixtures.html#LazySusans), as well as many crosscuts. Others can't stand them and don't think they are worth even one square inch of shop floor space.

One long-time proponent of the RAS can be found here (http://www.mrsawdust.com/). Something else that promotes happy RAS use is a properly designed blade - try Forrest (http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_1.htm), or this Infinity blade (http://www.infinitytools.com/Radial-Arm-Saw-Blades/products/1197/) or this one (http://www.infinitytools.com/Miter-Saw-Blades/products/1201/). I suspect many RASs have never had a good blade mounted on them.

Ultimately, this a personal preference sort of decision. It depends on what kinds of woodwork you do, how much shop space you have, and what tools you are comfortable with.

Van Huskey
04-04-2010, 1:13 AM
First that saw has been recalled but I do not think that one can be retrofitted so ETC wll give you $100 to give it to them (they pay postage too and send you a box).

I love my RAS and use it for a lot of things, but everyone differs on this.

www.radialarmsawrecall.com (http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com)

Robert Adamis
04-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I picked up a Rockwell Super 900 a few weeks ago and already have found it to be essential for my purposes. I still have to do some restoration work on it to get it back in pristine condition but already it has been helpful for cutting down long boards to a working length. Sure I could have done the same thing using a table saw or even a circular saw but doing it on a tool designed for the operation saves the setup time.

The thing I like best about the super 900 is that it is a fairly compact package that doesn't take up too much extra space. If your RAS is anything like my Dad's 80s era Craftsman then it is most likely a space hog that is difficult to find a space for. I would guess that most people that have RAS and love them probably have the space in their shop for them. If you are working with garage for your shop then finding a spot that isn't in the way but functional when necessary is probably going to be an issue.

Considering that you already have a sliding compound miter saw at your disposal a RAS probably isn't going to buy you much that you don't have already. You might be able to cross cut boards that are wider then your slider can handle but how often has that been an issue for you so far?

In conclusion, if you have the space you can dedicate for it then it's probably worth hanging onto (assuming it wasn't recalled in the first place). If you don't have the space for it then I don't think I would bother trying to hassle with it.

Paul Atkins
04-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Just wait till SawStop makes a RAS!

glenn bradley
04-04-2010, 2:18 PM
As the other Glen said; Some folks want 'em, some don't. I had one some years older than that one that worked well but, it didn't earn it's enormous footprint in the shop. It went down the highway.

Carroll Courtney
04-04-2010, 4:42 PM
Unless its atop of the line older Rockwell or an elder Dewalt then its just for ruff cutting.I had a Sears for several yrs using it to try and do cabinet work,its just not accurate enought(one min. its dead on and the next its off).Try and rip some plywood,but don't stand in the way at either end.Becomes a rocket,and its out of square again.Keep your SCMS,has a smaller foot print than the RAS.One who dislikes the RAS---Carroll

Bill White
04-04-2010, 4:48 PM
Well, ya ain't gettin' my old C'man dinosaur 10" RAS. Been with me since 1978, and it has been a real workhorse.
Yeah, I know......and I still have all my fingers....and a TS to boot.
Bill

Kent A Bathurst
04-04-2010, 5:09 PM
Well Kev, there are basically two types of people in this world. Those who need and RAS and those who don't.

Well put, Glenn.

I have not been assimilated, but I understand why people want/have/use them.

Chip Lindley
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Yep, to each their own! I relied on a '77 Craftsman 10" RAS since new, until just this year. YES!, a PITA to set up, but once set, it accurately crosscut the smaller stuff perfectly. The 3/4hp motor just never had enough Butt to crosscut wide 4/4 hardwood boards. I had to baby it along to keep from stalling, using a Freud negative hook 60T miter saw blade. But, all-in-all, a RAS does many operations better, easier than your TS can.

If your Makita SMCS does everything you need to do, and has never disappointed you, the RAS would probably best be sold to someone more in-need. That is, if it does not make your neighbor mad. I was able to get $175 for mine. Yours may bring $200 or more with factory stand w/drawers!

Alan Schwabacher
04-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't have one (or space for one) but the use that sounds appealing to me is to put a dado set in it.

Randal Stevenson
04-04-2010, 10:55 PM
First that saw has been recalled but I do not think that one can be retrofitted so ETC wll give you $100 to give it to them (they pay postage too and send you a box).

I love my RAS and use it for a lot of things, but everyone differs on this.

www.radialarmsawrecall.com (http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com)

I wish I still had the link (was bookmarked on a pc, that had a hard drive fail), but there was someone on a newsgroup or blog, that I read, that had done the recall, then was placing a router on it, instead.
I know there was one person here, who did it as well:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=86307
the other one I had, went into more detail.

Mike Harrison
04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Kev,

As Glenn, I believe, said there are only two kinds of people in this debate, and I'm pro-RAS. I've had an RAS since I started woodworking, and its been a valuable part of the shop.

My Miter and Radial saws are on the same bench with a common fence.
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/WW%20tools/RAS%20Miter%20bench/P10100042.jpg
I've used mine for doing first straight edge on rough lumber, dadoes, miter/bevel cuts, etc. It'll do anything a Miter saw will do, plus. Its not as quick and easy to setup for a particular operation as the miter, but its nice to have two similar saws available for certain processes.

Once setup it should be fine for quite a while, I'd check mine once or twice a year, just to be sure it was still setup. I've since gotten a 12" delta Turret head Radial and I just love it.

Ronald Blue
04-04-2010, 11:17 PM
I am definitely pro RAS. Back when it was all I could afford it was my everything for remodeling projects. I still use my B&D/Dewalt for length cutting and also in some special applications with a dado cutter. Play with it and you might become a convert. As some have said there are few fence straddlers, you stand on one side or the other where RAS are concerned.

Dec Olores
04-05-2010, 8:17 AM
Today my elderly neighbor lady asked me to take her late husband's 1980"s radial arm saw along with some other items I already agreed to buy from her as she gets ready to go to an independent living apartment.

I'm assuming this saw is of the vintage to have round metal rods as the carriage bearing surface? I "fought" with one of those saws for weeks in the mid 1980's, trying to get it to cut without burning. Turns out the rods are not machined true, so the carriage wobbles as it moves.

I replaced the rods with drill rod and shimmed them to compensate for variations in the casting. That finally got it to cut without burning.

If you decide to keep it, might want to consider this mod.

I bought a Ryobi RA2500 a few years later. They are no longer manufactured, but it is the best mid range RAS I have found. On this saw, the arm bearing surface is machined steel - so it is true and stays true. Never had a burning problem with this saw.

Bob Aquino
04-05-2010, 8:45 AM
I'm one of those guys that was against them when all I had to compare was a 60's vintage craftsman that I could not keep aligned for love nor money. I sold it a while back and never missed it. I used a PC 12" CMS as my main cutoff saw in the shop.

Having got bitten by the OWWM bug about 2 years ago, I decided to replace all the current machinery in my shop with older equipment. Yes it is a slippery slope, but if you have the wherewithall to buy and fix up these machines, there is really no comparison. I had pretty much ran out of room and was looking for a machine to do when I came upon the idea to get a ras again.

But this time I opted for one of the classic DeWalt round arm machines, a late 50's vintage MBF with a 3/4 horse motor. All I can say is that this machine is everything the C-man was not. Once set up, it is set up. Its all in the construction with nicely milled cast iron components. What does it do that a Miter saw cant? It can cross cut stuff wider than 6-8 inches for starters. It can run a dado blade. I've used this one for small stuff like pen blanks and I have more confidence holding stuff down on the table then I would on a comparable miter saw. Just something about that blade coming down as opposed to you drawing it back.

If you want to get into a RAS, do yourself a favor and get one of the oldies like a DeWalt that was built before the early to mid 60's. They can be found cheap enough. Mine was bought for 25 bucks and refurbed last summer.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nh7rpc89jO0/SxGJgIhqgDI/AAAAAAAAICw/D_hDLYbIVY8/s800/P1040395.JPG

And somebody else mentioned the bigger deltas. This is the saw (delta 30C) that is taking the DeWalts place when I finish it up in the next month or so. It is much heavier and is as nicely made as the DeWalts but has the turret arm design that has its own set of advantages.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nh7rpc89jO0/S7jWmDlwNwI/AAAAAAAAIqg/OgCkwju35w0/s800/IMG_0695.CR2.jpg

Wade Lippman
04-05-2010, 1:23 PM
Setting up an RAS is a PITA and once you get it square you won't want to move it. So it really only has one use, though the makers of them will tell you how great and versatile they are.

No, two uses. They are great for dadoes. I sold mine because I didn't have room for a dado cutter, but if room isn't a problem...

Kev Godwin
04-05-2010, 4:22 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for those responses.:)

I played and tinkered with that saw all of late yesterday afternoon and evening for about 8 full hours. I went thru the original instructions on set-up and tuning too. I really don't have a need for it in my current shop and it takes up a lot of room. It sure runs smooth though.

I just got off of the phone from the recall service. They are going to send me a box for the carriage arm and motor and they will pay the UPS shipping. I'm going to take the $100 and go offer it back to my neighbor lady.

However, this awsome steel base can easily take some casters and make a real heavy-duty storage/shop bench base!;)

I really appreciate the help!
Kev

Neal Clayton
04-06-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't have one (or space for one) but the use that sounds appealing to me is to put a dado set in it.

that's the primary thing that can't easily be replaced by another tool.

cutting dadoes in long boards (like door frames, window frames, etc.)

if you have a need to do such a thing, they're great.

i have a late 1940s model 12" unipoint, wouldn't part with it ;)

James Carmichael
04-06-2010, 4:06 PM
Wow, Bob, that's almost too pretty to use;)

I've got an old MBC + a new set of bearings sitting disassembled on the shelf waiting for some attention.

I know, 1/2 HP won't be much, but that old cast iron just hopped into the back of my truck at a flea market (by coincidence, I misplaced $50 somewhere that day:confused:), and was just too cute to turn away.

Maybe your pics will inspire me to get busy.

Neal Clayton
04-06-2010, 4:39 PM
Wow, Bob, that's almost too pretty to use;)

I've got an old MBC + a new set of bearings sitting disassembled on the shelf waiting for some attention.

I know, 1/2 HP won't be much, but that old cast iron just hopped into the back of my truck at a flea market (by coincidence, I misplaced $50 somewhere that day:confused:), and was just too cute to turn away.

Maybe your pics will inspire me to get busy.

old motors greater than new motors ;).

my old unipoint 12" only has a 1.5 HP motor, and it's about the equivalent of a modern 3hp 220 motor.