PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Spalted Maple

Toney Robertson
04-03-2010, 10:11 PM
10 1/4" x 3 1/4" - AO finish.

I think I like the combination of woods. The walnut seems to bring out the dark streaks in the SM.

What say you? As always, all C&C welcomed.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1125.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1125A.jpg

Toney

David E Keller
04-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Interesting rim treatment on the outside... It looks like one bowl sitting inside another.

That maple has great color, but it looks like it was a challenge to turn. It seems like there are some pretty punky areas that would have given me fits.

Nice job.

brian watts
04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
very nice.like the Spalted maple..

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Toney - that's really different! Cool idea and you did a great job on lining up the grain on both pieces! Nice work!

Curt Fuller
04-04-2010, 1:31 AM
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a bowl done like that. That's really interesting. And it has me scratching my head wondering how you've done it. I like it a lot. Thanks for posting it.

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 1:40 AM
Toney that is cool. I really like the outside rims. Really a pretty piece.

John Keeton
04-04-2010, 6:07 AM
Wonderful combination, Toney!! The colors really coordinate beautifully.

I like varied rim treatments, and this one is eye-catching. I have thought about undercutting a double rim, but haven't tried it yet.

Like Curt, I am trying to think how I would do this. This process looks pretty tricky, but I think I would finish the rim on the SM, but not fully hollow the bowl, then finish turn a shallow flat bottom walnut bowl to fit down in the SM bowl - then hollow out the inside of the bowl.

Close??

The only thing I may have done differently is flair out the edge of the walnut rim a little more to be in line with the ogee of the SM, but it certainly works as is!

Of course, you could have added some dye to spice it up!!:D;) (Inside joke!)

Toney Robertson
04-04-2010, 9:13 AM
Wonderful combination, Toney!! The colors really coordinate beautifully.

I like varied rim treatments, and this one is eye-catching. I have thought about undercutting a double rim, but haven't tried it yet.

Like Curt, I am trying to think how I would do this. This process looks pretty tricky, but I think I would finish the rim on the SM, but not fully hollow the bowl, then finish turn a shallow flat bottom walnut bowl to fit down in the SM bowl - then hollow out the inside of the bowl.

Close??

The only thing I may have done differently is flair out the edge of the walnut rim a little more to be in line with the ogee of the SM, but it certainly works as is!

Of course, you could have added some dye to spice it up!!:D;) (Inside joke!)

Bingo John, that is exactly how I did it. The gap between the two continues down far enough that I can't imagine how you would do it after the two pieces were joined together.

You are right on about the walnut going farther out. Matching the flair of the ogee is precisely what I wanted to do but I did not make the bottom small enough to match the size of walnut that I had. Another 1/2" smaller and I think it would have been spot on. I could have gotten another piece of walnut but I did not have one readily available.

Good one in the last line!!! Always good to laugh in the morning.

I appreciate the positive comments from you fine people.

Toney

Frank Van Atta
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Very nicely done. The "bowl within a bowl" illusion is quite striking and the matching ogees (my favorite shape) are quite well done. Very imaginative piece.

John Tomasello jr
04-04-2010, 6:17 PM
It's different, like the wood