PDA

View Full Version : More wood and Midi question

Ken Hill
04-03-2010, 8:25 PM
Its still been non stop as far as gathering wood. I did a good deed and helped a friend out today (cutting firewood) and took my share of some nice oak crotch's and a big Honey Locust stump

Im about to take a few days off and might see if I can lay my hands on a new Delta lathe, the Midi I believe. From what i've read on here its a solid piece, but figured i would make sure it wasnt the only deal out there.

Ken Hill
04-03-2010, 8:28 PM
Scored on craigslist this week as well. All osage and plenty of it. Should make for many nice pieces for flat work and spindle turning. Not bad for $25:D

Ken Hill
04-03-2010, 8:31 PM
Been busy milling some oak and cherry as well. I ordered my new Rikon Bandsaw so I should have plenty to do once it arrives

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC00040/825968755_pyxFf-M.jpg

Matt Ranum
04-04-2010, 9:34 AM
I do believe I have wood envy. :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2010, 12:34 PM
When you get the lathe it looks like you should have plenty of wood to keep you busy.

Ken Hill
04-04-2010, 3:57 PM
Yep, getting some serious wood in here for sure, and still have 3 or 4 times what I have to go cut

The Delta 46-460 is what I am refering to as far as the new lathe. Spindle turning makes up 99% of what ive done but want to venture into bowls and such and I know my Jet isnt big enough nor is it slow enough.....am I on the right track with this model or is there something similiar quality and price?

Joe Wiliams
04-04-2010, 5:23 PM
How big of bowls do you want to make? I'm sure you're aware the Delta is limited to a rough blank size of about 12 1/2".

Ken Hill
04-04-2010, 5:48 PM
Nothing big Joe, and if I reach a point where more is needed I can expand to a much much bigger unit and still use the 460 for my spindle work. The variable speed and reverse rotation are appealing to me, the added benefit of the slower speed (compared to my jet) should help with starting out making bowls from what I understand.

Joe Wiliams
04-04-2010, 5:55 PM
Same reasons I bought the 46-460 about two months ago or so;)

But it's still in the box:o

Cathy Schaewe
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I am brand new to turning; got my Delta 46-460 about a month and a half ago. Since then, I have taken lessons from a couple of people with much bigger lathes, and have turned on a couple of smaller ones, so I have seen the difference between the midis and the 'big guys.' Just about all I've turned has been bowls.

If money is an issue, I don't think you can go wrong with the Delta, as long as you understand that there will be some vibration with big, out-of-round pieces, and that you can't turn over 12 1/2 inches. I love the variable speed and the reverse. The tool rest is a little soft, but you can easily get a replacement. It seems very well-built and sturdy. I had a problem with the live center, but I called Delta and they shipped a new one out with no questions the same day.

I love mine, and have no regrets (and I've turned every day since I got it)!

Stephan Larson
04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I got my 46-460 about 3-4 months ago and it has worked very well for me. I wanted to get into turning pens at first because I have a nephew in Iraq with the Air Force and wanted to turn some pens for he and his compatriots. I have turned some hollow forms and small bowls with very little problem but I also know that an upgrade is in the future.

Steve

John Keeton
04-05-2010, 2:22 PM
I have the Delta 46-460 and love it. It seems that I am comfortable with the "12 and under" capacity, and I seem to have drifted somewhat into the smaller artsy pieces. The Delta does a great job, and I don't anticipate the need for a larger lathe at this point in my turning. Someday, maybe, but the Delta has done all I have asked it to do - and, done it well.