PDA

View Full Version : Infill Plane is teasing me

Jared McMahon
04-03-2010, 7:00 PM
There is an infill smoother at a local antique store that's calling out to me, but I can't identify it. The cap is marked Ibbotson & Co, the iron is Isaac Greaves. But the body is completely unmarked.

It has a few dings and some discoloration, nothing that would interfere with its function. The front infill wood is a bit loose, and one of the screws securing the back infill is missing. My phone doesn't have a camera so I couldn't snap any pics, but based on the vague clues above, does anyone have opinions as to whether it is worth taking home and giving some TLC? Do infill smoothers age gracefully?

James Taglienti
04-03-2010, 7:28 PM
more input!

Eric Brown
04-03-2010, 7:28 PM
Check the bottom with a straightedge for flat, check the mouth for cracks or any other defects. Screws can be replaced, wood can be tightened, rust can be removed. Also, check that the blade is sound at the cutting edge as many of the old planes used laminated blades.

If the plane is sound, it should work fine.

If the price is good, then get it and enjoy.

Eric

Jared McMahon
04-03-2010, 7:50 PM
The mouth is square and clean, the surfaces all seemed true. The iron has a couple small dings at the cutting edge but nothing serious, and it's got an awful lot of meat left. And my god is it *thick*! I have only dealt with used Stanley planes before, this iron is like an I-beam in comparison, and the cap iron is similarly beefy.

The price is $175, and there's some wiggle room in there. All the other infill planes I see are a few times that or more, so it's sounding like this one would be well worth the minimal rehab it would need.

george wilson
04-03-2010, 8:28 PM
The extra thick iron is called a "gauged iron" by the English. Unless the plane is really beat up,it is probably worth the money. Sight unseen,it's hard to say.

David Weaver
04-05-2010, 11:10 AM
The mouth is square and clean, the surfaces all seemed true. The iron has a couple small dings at the cutting edge but nothing serious, and it's got an awful lot of meat left. And my god is it *thick*! I have only dealt with used Stanley planes before, this iron is like an I-beam in comparison, and the cap iron is similarly beefy.

The price is $175, and there's some wiggle room in there. All the other infill planes I see are a few times that or more, so it's sounding like this one would be well worth the minimal rehab it would need.

How is the wood, how well does the iron bed? Is there an adjuster?

The wood and bedding of the iron is probably the biggest consideration. Unless it's really a monstrosity, it's fairly or very well priced. It's hard to build one for that amount.

Joe Rogers
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Need the location so I can inspect the plane in person and give my thoughts on it. Of course I won't buy it..........Promise.;)
Joe

Jared McMahon
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.infill-planes.com/gunmetal-coffin-smoother-plane-by-c-w-ridgeway

The plane in the URL is a kissin' cousin to the object of my affections.

I had enough of an opportunity to fiddle with the components to unseat the iron, examine it and reseat it. The bedding and the wedge all seemed tight and smooth, no apparent issues. The only thing that really stood out to me was the fact that the "THOS IBBOTSON & CO" stamp was upside down relative to my expectations, but until proven otherwise I'll question my expectations before questioning the imprint.

David Weaver
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
If it were in front of me in a condition similar to the plane you noted as a "kissing cousin", I would buy it without hesitation. That is just my opinion, though. It takes a lot of effort to build an infill plane, but they have a quality as a smoother in hardwoods that is hard to duplicate with other planes. I've never been in a position to buy one in decent condition with a tight mouth, or I wouldn't be making my own.

Jared McMahon
04-05-2010, 5:11 PM
Pictures of the newly acquired plane. I still have no idea who the maker is, I've given the body yet another going over and can't find any identifying marks. And thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.

PS: Please ignore the bright sun, just keep thinking Seattle is rainy all the time.

David Weaver
04-05-2010, 6:57 PM
No clue, but I like what I see about where the iron is bedded. If it's like that at the mouth, too (bedding on both sides only at the mouth and the top of the back, and not in the middle of the bed), it should be a great user.

Get it sharpened up and get it rolling. I'd have likely bought it for $175, even if the wife was with me and I knew I'd get heat.

The wood looks pretty good, the wedge looks great. Little bit of pitting, but no big deal on a user, and most of it is on the sole, anyway.

Dave Anderson NH
04-06-2010, 9:12 AM
I wouldn't swear to it and could be wrong, but it looks very much like a user made infill. Normally I wouldn't expect an established manufacturer to use slot head screws anywhere in the body and the wedge looks very user made though it could be a replacement.

Ray Gardiner
04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I should start by saying that early scottish infill planes are not my area of expertise... however.. it looks interesting enough to get some expert advice.. might possibly be worth a bit more than you paid...

I would probably want to get a Norris collector to have a look at it, I believe Norris used Ibbotson cap irons early on, and it's not especially unusual for it to be unmarked.

Slotted screws are common enough, at least on makers like Spiers etc.

Meantime, go easy on the cleaning.

Congratulations on a great find!

Regards
Ray

Jared McMahon
04-06-2010, 1:11 PM
I'm definitely a tool user, not a collector. If this plane has historical value, the last thing I want to do is scrape all the patina off and paint little flames on the sides. I've done zero cleaning so far (beyond blowing dust out of its mouth and right into my face) and I have no immediate projects, so no harm in letting it sit until I find someone who knows about these things to take a look at it.

David Keller NC
04-06-2010, 2:35 PM
Your plane rather strongly appears to be made by Slater. Slater used a lever cap of that form, and the greaves iron is consistent with an early Slater. It looks way too crisp to be a user-finished plane from a casting, but that's not certain. There are a few examples of really superbly finished infills on collector's shelves that were definitely craftsman-finished.

All in all, you got an excellent deal on an unhandled infill smoother.

Ray Gardiner
04-06-2010, 3:03 PM
Your plane rather strongly appears to be made by Slater. Slater used a lever cap of that form, and the greaves iron is consistent with an early Slater. It looks way too crisp to be a user-finished plane from a casting, but that's not certain. There are a few examples of really superbly finished infills on collector's shelves that were definitely craftsman-finished.

All in all, you got an excellent deal on an unhandled infill smoother.

Nicely picked David, I think you've got it.

From this page third from the bottom on the right..

http://www.aw-tools.com/AW_Tools/SC_Infill_Planes.html

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/slater.jpg

Regards
Ray

Edit:--
Comparing it to yours, it looks like the screws holding the rear infill are a user repair, and as already suggested the wedge looks like it could be a user made replacement.

Jared McMahon
04-06-2010, 3:06 PM
http://www.thebestthings.com/oldtools/graphics/bm90637.jpg

The pic is of a plane of unknown maker but highly suspected of being a Slater. To my untrained eye, the metal and hardware appear very similar to the smoother, but what really grabs me is the... the... ok, I give up, what's the name for the brass cross-bar thingy that the wedge bears against? Whatever it's called, the one on the chariot plane looks exactly like the one on the smoother. I don't know how meaningful that is but it's another data point.

Ray Gardiner
04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
... the... ok, I give up, what's the name for the brass cross-bar thingy that the wedge bears against? Whatever it's called, the one on the chariot plane looks exactly like the one on the smoother. .

Lever cap, is what you are looking for.. any luck finding out more about Slater?

Regards
Ray