PDA

View Full Version : Carcass Saw

Eugenio Musto
04-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Hello,
my name is Eugenio,i'm from Italy and i'm new to the Sawmill Creek.
I love hand tools and expecially saws.
In theese days i'm looking for a good carcass saw in order to cut tenon shoulders,edges of a dado and for cuts in a mitre box.
I saw Lie Nielsen,Adria,Wenzloff they all seem good so i can't choose among them.Any suggestions?
Thanks all for the attention!!

P.S. Just a little question for Rob Lee: Is there any chance of a Veritas carcass saw before summer?I already bought the small crosscut saw but i need something with more depth of cut.

Dave Schwarzkopf
04-03-2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/

Mark just came out with his new carcass saw; I can recommend him without reservations. I have no doubts that you'd be happy with any of his products.

Andrew Gibson
04-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the Creek!
Any of the saws you listed would be a great saw. Tools for working wood also have some offerings that would be good as does Bad axe tool works. Not that that will help you narrow down your decision.

I have been deciding on saws for myself recently and I decided on Wenzloff for the materials and I am going to make the handles my self. It seems like it will be a little more economical and I will have custom made handles as well. All It will take is time which is fine with me.

Tony Shea
04-03-2010, 12:37 PM
All It will take is time which is fine with me.

"But if you factor in your time it will end up costing more in the long run than it would to just buy a handled saw! Your time is worth a lot!"

Build away, I agree with you 100% that making your own handle is far more economical. It's funny to me all the people who are against using shop time to custom make tools of sorts that can just be bought for extra $. I am for the making of the tools as time is much easier to come by than $. Even if the time isn't there I would rather wait till it is as nothing beats a custom made tool that fits all your needs exactly. The satisfaction factor of it weighs heavily on my decision to make tools as well and honestly this is why I got into the hobby to begin with...make things out of wood!

Jim Koepke
04-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Eugenio,

Welcome to the creek.

My suggestion goes in a different direction. It would also depend on the used tool market in your area.

For me, much pleasure has been found in finding old saws and learning how to sharpen them. What has also been discovered is that through doing this, my understanding of how the changing of the saw tooth slope (rake) effects my sawing.

My greatest discovery in this came at a couple of Lie-Nielsen Tool Events recently. It was my hope to use their new saws and have the trumpets sound and the angels sing. Instead, I found that one of my old saws that has been rehabilitated actually works better for me. It is a bit of a let down when one wants to find a "new toy" to spend money on only to find what you already have is every bit as good.

So, if you can find some old saws, you may be able to find something that will do what you want and save money.

You could buy a very cheap junk saw to use as a learning saw for sharpening. This way you can sharpen it a few times to find what kind of tooth profile and count you like.

There are many places to find more information on saws:

Norsewoodsmith.com
Vintagesaws.com
Also right here on SMC is Bob Smalser's posts on many things including saws:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=854843#poststop

There is plenty more, but these three should keep you busy for a few hours if not days.

jim

Pedder Petersen
04-03-2010, 4:39 PM
P.S. Just a little question for Rob Lee: Is there any chance of a Veritas carcass saw before summer?I already bought the small crosscut saw but i need something with more depth of cut.

Hi Eugenio,

did you recognize the veritas crosscut saw? She will do most of your job up to 37mm cutting depth.

Ciao,
Pedder

Ted Calver
04-03-2010, 6:28 PM
Hi Eugenio,
Welcome to the creek. I lived in Arcugnano near Vicenza for many years. Where do you live?

Eugenio Musto
04-04-2010, 7:44 AM
Thanks for your hearty welcome and for your replies.
I now have more ideas: wenzloff kits, vintage, bad axe etc, i will consider these options.
For Pedder: I have the veritas crosscut.It is amazing(and so the Veritas dovetail saw) but it is a little small for my project, so I asked Rob Lee for a Veritas Carcass Saw:D.
For Ted: I'm from Bari, a city in the south of Italy.

Rick Erickson
04-04-2010, 9:00 AM
A second vote for the Bad Axe. I own two of them and a third is on the way. They are superb surgical instruments. If budget is a factor go Jim's route. Sharpening is an excellent skill to have (I haven't mastered it yet) and you can find some very inexpensive 'old' saws and get them up and running without a lot of effort.

Tri Hoang
04-04-2010, 1:48 PM
I bought a brand new pair of Adria dovetail/carcase saws last year from Hartville Tool when they had a sale for less than $200. Both are very well-made, balanced, sharp, beautiful, and comfortable in my hands. I use the carcase saw frequently instead of the compound miter saw.

I'm satisfied with the purchase & would recommend those two Adria saws. Adria has a 1 year no-question-ask satisfaction guarantee...perhaps the longest satisfaction guarantee in the business.

I have my eye set on the new LN 16" tenon saw, though. The largest Adria tenon saw is only 14".