PDA

View Full Version : open walnut form

Robert McGowen
04-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I had a 2"x4" of really figured walnut that was only a couple of feet long.I tried to get a picture frame out of it (sorry!) but there wasn't enough wood. So, I cut it up into 60 pieces and added a piece of curly maple. 6.25" across and 3.5" tall. I put 3 coats of antique oil on it and took pictures before I buffed it. It was so reflective with just the oil, that it was really hard to get any decent photos. The photos don't show how smooth the surface is to the touch, but I guess the reflections do! Thanks for looking and any comments or criticisms are appreciated.

John Keeton
04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
There you go again - stretching those boards!!:D

Beautiful walnut with a lot of color variation. It will mellow out very well and always looks good with curly maple.

Well done!

Frank Van Atta
04-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Love the shape of the bowl; can't say I care much for the maple bottom. I think I would have found another piece of walnut and fit it to the hole. JMO.

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Robert - great form! Really like the color variations in the Walnut! Almost creates a design! Nice work - great joinery!

David E Keller
04-03-2010, 3:54 PM
Nice shape and glossy finish. Hard to go wrong with walnut for anything really.

I'm with Frank... I'm not sure I like the contrasting bottom.

Bill Bulloch
04-03-2010, 5:25 PM
As always, very nice work.

Jeff Nicol
04-03-2010, 6:19 PM
The way the wood goes together it looks almost like an abstract painting, it is very cool! THe shape is one of my favorites to make.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2010, 7:01 PM
Really nice form and wood is so pretty.