PDA

View Full Version : Project Management software for a rehab newbie?

James Rey
04-03-2010, 8:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a property to renovate and then rent. 15 years ago when I did this on the side I did everything on the fly. Make a list of what I wanted to do overall, and then make lists daily of what I needed for the next day - on the back of a piece of paper, bag, whatever. After everything was done, I'd add everything up and see how close my final cost came to my initial estimate. It worked out but I'd like to be able to find a program where I can plan ahead, manage the project more accurately, and keep track of expenses, timelines etc. Anyone use or know of a relatively simple and inexpensive program for project management on a house rehab? It's a small 2 level townhome so no major structural work, but it will need to be stripped to the studs and completely redone on the interior.
MS Project etc seem like overkill and the time it would take me to ramp up seems like it would be self defeating. :D

Thanks!

Tom Rossman
04-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I do project management and program management for a living using Microsoft Project and Open Workbench, but I would recommend that you take a look at OpenProj, which is free and runs in Java environment (also free). Project management is project managment whether it is in the building trades or something else. Google OpenProj and take a look.

James Rey
04-05-2010, 8:43 PM
Thanks Tom. I found Openproj yesterday per your suggestion and I'm starting to use it now along with a few others to see which one works best. I'll post my results after I finish the property in case anyone else is looking.

Thanks again!

James