PDA

View Full Version : best price for DC Canister Filter

Kevin Gregoire
04-02-2010, 11:21 PM
i have a Jet DC1100 and i would really like to have a canister filter for it
and im curious who has the best price? or if anyone has a used one to sell?

how long do they last? how much better are they over the bag?
can the pleated filter be replaced or does the whole mesh thing get replaced too?

Tom Welch
04-03-2010, 7:26 AM
Try Wynn Enviromental. Just google and find their website. They have good prices and a great product. I got 2 0.5 micron filters for my 3 hp DC last year and they are holding up fine. You should not need to replace them for a very long time, Every once in a while I just use a little air (30 psi) to clean the very fine dust from them (blown from the outside of the filter)

Curt Harms
04-03-2010, 8:18 AM
I bought the 100% spun bond. It's more money but you can wash it out with a garden hose. I think the burst strength is over 300 PSI. Wynn's site has a tutorial on making a "beater" if you want one. I'd also recommend a Thien baffle. The baffle keeps nearly ALL the larger chips out of the canister filter. I buy mostly rough lumber so create a lot of planer/jointer chips. The Thien baffle is a real help.

Ray Bell
04-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I bought the 100% spun bond. It's more money but you can wash it out with a garden hose. I think the burst strength is over 300 PSI. Wynn's site has a tutorial on making a "beater" if you want one. I'd also recommend a Thien baffle. The baffle keeps nearly ALL the larger chips out of the canister filter. I buy mostly rough lumber so create a lot of planer/jointer chips. The Thien baffle is a real help.

Are the Thien baffles a commercial product?

Mark Godlesky
04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
No. Phil Thein designed it but you have to make one for yourself.

Phil is a member here and posts quite a bit.

Try this link to his site.

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Kevin Gregoire
04-03-2010, 1:46 PM
thats not a bad alternative if i decide to go that route!

but im still curious about the original Jet filter and who has the best prices?

Tri Hoang
04-03-2010, 1:50 PM
I had the same DC but choose the 9L300BL model & mount it to the side instead. Huge improvement over my stock cartridge (3 micron Dust Dog or something to that extend).

Ray Bell
04-03-2010, 3:45 PM
No. Phil Thein designed it but you have to make one for yourself.

Phil is a member here and posts quite a bit.

Try this link to his site.

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Thanks for the link Mark. That is a pretty impressive demonstration. I notice there is a patent pending for this.

Mark Godlesky
04-03-2010, 5:10 PM
Kevin - Sorry your thread took a left turn.:(

I do not have a cannister so I can not help you there.

It seems thay most folks who have a cannister use the Wynn. A sizable minority have a Grizzly. I don't recall seeing anyone having a Jet but there have got to be at least a few users on SMC.

Ray Bell
04-03-2010, 6:14 PM
I apologize also Kevin. I do have a Wynn on order, and that is the only cartridge I looked into.

Ray

Bob Borzelleri
04-04-2010, 8:44 AM
Kevin - Sorry your thread took a left turn.:(

I do not have a cannister so I can not help you there.

It seems thay most folks who have a cannister use the Wynn. A sizable minority have a Grizzly. I don't recall seeing anyone having a Jet but there have got to be at least a few users on SMC.

I have a jet on a DC650 (that I have up for sale). It is a tremendous improvement over the cloth bags that came with the DC.

Kent Parker
04-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Kevin,

Another vote from me for the Wynn cartriage. I tried the bag that came with my dust collector for a short time. It got so clogged with fine dust I hosed it off with a garden hose which took a long time to dry. Bought the Wynn (the washable one) and after the first bag change noticed the Wynn was clogged so I made Phil's baffle and after about 8 bags of sawdust later have not needed to clean the Wynn. Its really a great combination.

Cheers,

Kent

Alan Schaffter
04-04-2010, 4:08 PM
Caution about cartridge filters-

Remember what the filters are for- to keep the dust you have "collected" from reentering your shop atmosphere. Unless you have "near perfect separation" (doesn't exist) using a cyclone or other means, a cartridge, just like any filter, will start to clog immediately, first with ultra fine and invisible dust, and continue to do so, clogging more and more of the fine air passages. As this occurs, you restrict air flow through the filter. Like with a bag, the filtering actually improves, BUT now you reduce the flow EVERYWHERE in the system, including at the source where you want to collect it in the first place! A hint that a DC rig with cartridge doesn't separate dust- if it comes with a beater bar. Beater bars are a bandaid. The are designed to beat against the filter to dislodge dust, but by doing so they start to break down the filter media, reduce filtering performance, and allow larger and larger dust to pass through.

So, my recommendations (you've seen them before):

1. If at all possible in your climate zone and neighborhood- use a pre-separator that has little impact on CFM, then discharge outside instead of through a filter of any type.

2. If #1 is not possible get the best separator you can get to remove the most amount of dust and chips before they reach the filter. If you don't, you are just wasting your money on an expensive cartridge that will clog quickly, and to some degree permanently. Unfortunately, filters are a "no win" situation.

If you plan to get a cartridge filter- Wynn is the way to go.

Kevin Gregoire
04-04-2010, 9:42 PM
thanks everyone for your input and from what i hear it seems like i need to give the wynn filter a try, especially for the price! just wish it were bigger and fit like a factory original.

im also curious, do i really need a DC1100 for my shop or would the DC650 be enough for my needs? my shop is 11x22, i have a tablesaw, combo-saw, drill press, bandsaw, and eventually a big router table. i dont really have the room to run pipe for each machine so might just have one long hose to move back and forth as needed.
the 650 is cheap and a canister for it is really cheap so what is your thoughts on that also??