PDA

View Full Version : DW735/Byrd head rollers not turning after install

Steve Sharp
04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Completed the install of the Byrd head this evening. However, I now find the rollers are not turning when the unit is turned on. The new head spins, but rollers do not. Went back through my install and all seems to be fine. The speed switch seems to move ok.
Now have taken the drive chains off both sides and with the unit powered up the roller drive shaft from the gearbox is not turning.
Unit ran perfectly prior to new head install.
Supposed to run a bunch of wood through it Sat so this has me in a pickle.

Your advice/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks, Steve

Craig Coney
04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
From what I remember doing my upgrade you have to make sure the gear on the cutter head is engaged properly in the gear box. It took a little time to get it to seat right, but it worked.

Steve Sharp
04-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Craig, thanks for the reply. The cutting head seems to be spinning fine - just not the rollers. Might I need to set the bearing of the cutter head a little deeper - is that what you are saying?

Jeff Monson
04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Steve, have you tried shifting the gear box speeds a few times to make sure it wasnt stuck in between?

If so, I remember the instructions stating not to take the gearbox too far off of the shaft. If so, there must be something that falls off inside the gearbox.

Jeff Monson
04-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Steve, you did swap the small drive gear to the new head correct?

Steve Sharp
04-03-2010, 9:10 AM
Jeff, The drive gear chain pretty much has to line up to the notches in the shafts so I feel they are on correctly.

Myk Rian
04-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Steve, you did swap the small drive gear to the new head correct?
That's what I'm wondering.

Gary Click
04-03-2010, 1:08 PM
Jeff, The drive gear chain pretty much has to line up to the notches in the shafts so I feel they are on correctly.

Steve,

I think what Jeff is referring to is the helical drive gear that is on the end of the cutter head.

You nust remove it from the old cutter head by unscrewing it and reinstall it into the Byrd Cutter head. This provides the input power into the feed geadbox.

gary

Steve Sharp
04-03-2010, 2:00 PM
Gary, you nailed it. I was looking back with a clear-er head this AM at the motor & drive belt and new head and the light went off that the new head should be driving the gear box. A look at the removed head, a small socket wrench and the missing part was transfered. Thanks all for your time and suggestions.
Way nice cuts from the new head.. Thanks again