PDA

View Full Version : Two routers in the same table?

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-11-2004, 6:44 AM
I've posted this twice on Woodnet with no luck...

I have a Jointech phenolic tabletop, 24x32 I think. In the factory hole is a Jointech ProLift (?) with a big PC. I have no Clincher (positioner thingy) on this table, and the factory hole is way to one end. I have no intention of ever putting the Clincher on this table (got it on the other one), and wonder why I shouldn't cut a hole at the other end of the top and hang another router? Would the second hole compromise the strength of the phenolic? :confused:

KC

Kelly C. Hanna
11-11-2004, 6:59 AM
Rockler sells a two router top and it's popular. I see no reason why not if that's gonna help you work better in the shop.

JayStPeter
11-11-2004, 8:24 AM
I would think the weight would be OK. But, you could always bolt a piece of angle iron or two to the bottom just to be sure.

Jay

Ken Garlock
11-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Go for it Kirk. I know that the Woodpecker people also sell a two hole table top.

I just finished making a 1/2" Phenolic zero-clearance insert for my cabinet saw. All I can say is that it is TOUGH STUFF :( I completely wore out a pattern following router bit. Granted, it was an el cheapo bit. Since you are working with a 3/4" table top, start with a good quality bit, maybe a couple of them :eek:

Denny Lawson
11-11-2004, 3:08 PM
I saw a picture of one sometime back..Woonet perhaps...of one with 3 routers:cool:

It was cool looking, I don't see any reason that a two-holer wouldn't be feasable.

Denny

Keith Christopher
11-11-2004, 3:16 PM
I have the pheno top and I think this should be no problem.

Steve Clardy
11-11-2004, 5:00 PM
I have a double router table for my rail and stile operations. But I have two seperate plates, Rocklers 1/4" alum. plates.
Soon I am planning on building a new one, with three routers.

John R Lucas
11-11-2004, 10:35 PM
I have used this table for using with router jigs that require two routers.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/katiej1c.jpg It was very handy but now sits ins torage...it took too much ro0m.

mike lucas
11-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Woodhaven made two router top tables for many years before I ever seen any other company offer them. I am not saying they were the first, just that they are the first one I seen offer them.

Having two routers in one table is a very good idea. But with the table top that you have, it may be a little crowded at times. I would not do it unless the top I had was at least 32" wide (I like a long fence area.) and 48" long. (This gives lots of room for two fences, without being in each others way.)

I will most likely be replacing my 15 year old router table soon. And if/when I do, it will be 32x48 with 2 7518`s and 2 router lifts. I am also thinking of using the INCRA LS Positioner with it setup so one fence and positioner can be rotated from one router to the other in a couple seconds. As the height of the bit is always important, and the fence position very seldom is. But the LS positioner can be read very accurately, so even the fence setting can be set very quickly.