PDA

View Full Version : NO 4 w/ Sticker care?

Ronald Jones
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to Sawmill Creek, and I recently aquired a Stanley NO 4 Bailey plane type 13 w/ a SW iron. It is in excellent condition and includes to original sticker. I would like for this to be a user plane and not just sit on a shelf all day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to preserve the Stanley sticker?

Thank you in advance.

Jim Koepke
04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Ronald,

Welcome to the slippery slope.

If you do wish to preserve the sticker, in your case, the best way may be to buy a replacement handle and switch handles.

Some people go nuts with their wallets for the sticker.

jim

Ronald Jones
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the welcome. I will probably install a replacement handle as you suggested. I wrap up the handle and tuck it away should I ever need to sell it one day.

Thanks,

Ron

jerry nazard
04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Ronald,

Some people go nuts with their wallets for the sticker.

jim

Talk about sticker shock....

Ron, you need to watch out about Jim. He's the keeper of the "slippery slope", and vile hand tool corruption runs through his Neanderthal veins. Welcome to the creek.

-Jerry

Phillip Pattee
04-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Ron,
If you are planning on maintaining the collectability of the plane, I suggest you buy a replacement blade for it as well and tuck the original SW blade away with the stickered handle. Welcome to the creek!

Eric Brown
04-03-2010, 1:29 AM
Let someone else (collector) preserve it. Sell it for a bunch and then buy a new LV or LN instead. You will end up with a better plane this way.

Eric

Jim Koepke
04-03-2010, 1:44 AM
Talk about sticker shock....

Ron, you need to watch out about Jim. He's the keeper of the "slippery slope", and vile hand tool corruption runs through his Neanderthal veins. Welcome to the creek.

-Jerry

ROTFLOL!

Well, OK, so I may be a little obsessed about old planes.

Let someone else (collector) preserve it. Sell it for a bunch and then buy a new LV or LN instead. You will end up with a better plane this way.

Eric

I would look at the prices similar ones sell for before going this far.

jim

Paul Ryan
04-03-2010, 8:38 AM
I have a #8 with a sticker on the handle and a SW blade, I didn't pay that much for it so I assumed no one cared about the sticker. Ummm. Decisions Decisions. I was trying out the #7 and #8 I have last night, trying to figure out what one too keep. The extra weight of the 8 gets old in a hurry, but it is a nicer plane. Both work great nice thin shavings and smooth sailing. Is the sticker and SW blade worth extra?

David Keller NC
04-03-2010, 8:53 AM
FWIW, a pristine type 13 SW #4 with all of the original parts, no rust, good patina (i.e., not cleaned), 100% japaning and pristine wood with original finish is worth about $100 - $200 on the collector market depending on who's bidding that day. With the original box in good shape, perhaps $250 - $350. Note that these are dealer/major auction prices, not e-bay prices.

James Taglienti
04-03-2010, 7:31 PM
Take whatever david said and cut it in half... I have never seen anyone pay that much for a 4 and I have been to a lot of collector's auctions.

Bruce Page
04-03-2010, 8:59 PM
I can't believe none of you guys hasn't asked the OP to post pictures!

Ronald, welcome to SMC!

Now where are the pics! :D

Tri Hoang
04-03-2010, 9:26 PM
I may have committed a mortal sin. I have #7, SW blade, original sticker and have been using it as my primary jointer for a while. I put away the original laminated blade/chip breaker & use a LN replacement(because the A2 blade lasts a bit longer).

Phillip Pattee
04-03-2010, 9:31 PM
Well, the bottom line is a collector will pay more for a plane in pristine condition will all of the original stickers, finish and other markings that typically wear off. But more does not equal a small fortune. You have a collectable plane, not a rare plane--you won't be able to retire off of the proceeds.

scott spencer
04-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Ronald - You might consider just keeping the nice plane out of action and getting a decent $20-$30 user #4...they're pretty common.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
You have a collectable plane, not a rare plane--you won't be able to retire off of the proceeds.

That is unless you make fine furniture with it and sell enough to retire.

jim

David Keller NC
04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Take whatever david said and cut it in half... I have never seen anyone pay that much for a 4 and I have been to a lot of collector's auctions.

There have been multiple examples of the $100 - $200 price range for such a plane on the Fine Tool Journal tools sale, Martin J. Donnely Live Free or Die auctions, and Patrick Leach's monthly tool sale in the last couple of years. But again, that's a pristine example - not quite NIB, but close. Generally speaking, the last 2%-5% of condition represents 50% or more of the value to collectors.

One of the more interesting examples of this phenomena was the sale of SW Stanley #1 that was really close to NIB last summer for the eye-opening price of $8000 plus commission. A #1 from that era that doesn't have any missing or replaced parts, no breaks to the wood, and 90% + japanning goes for somewhere between $1000 - $2000. One with the handle sticker, near 100% finish to the wood, and near 100% japanning but missing the box is a $2500 to $4500 plane, depending on vintage.

Ronald Jones
04-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all of the responses.

Phillip, you have a good point about maintaining the original SW blade

Scott, I do have another decent NO 4 that might be a good user after cleaning up and tuning. I am not sure of the manufacturer as it only has a very smudged No 4 on the body. It looks like it could've been a recast of a Bailey plane design. Did other manufacturers do this?

An pictures, I know I forgot those. I will try to take some this evening.

Thanks,

Ron

Ronald Jones
04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Here are a few photos of the No. 4 smoothing plane I recently bought. I also included a photo of a No. 61 block plane I bought from the same guy.