PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl

Ray McGrath
04-02-2010, 9:00 PM
While cutting firewood last fall I noticed that quite a few Box Elder trees on my place had what I assume is burl, normally I don't bother cutting Box Elder for firewood.
Question is has anyone used Box Elder for woodworking? How would one go about harvesting the burl properly? see sample photos below.

Thanks,
Ray

Jeff Willard
04-02-2010, 9:20 PM
Got lathe?

Wonderful stuff to turn-often has bright splashes of red in it. Coveted by those in the spinny world.

It's in the maple family-sometimes called "ash leaf maple". Never seen it marketed commercially, other than the burls. Lighter and softer than other maples. I think I'd avoid it for any application that requires much structural strength, but it may be nice for smaller projects.

As far as cutting those things, the only advice I can offer is to goop up all exposed surfaces really well with some sort of sealant to inhibit checking. You'll likely get as many opinions on how to slice a burl as there are members on this forum. How big are those suckers, anyhoo?

Wayne Hendrix
04-02-2010, 9:52 PM
Got lathe?

Wonderful stuff to turn-often has bright splashes of red in it. Coveted by those in the spinny world.

It's in the maple family-sometimes called "ash leaf maple". Never seen it marketed commercially, other than the burls. Lighter and softer than other maples. I think I'd avoid it for any application that requires much structural strength, but it may be nice for smaller projects.

As far as cutting those things, the only advice I can offer is to goop up all exposed surfaces really well with some sort of sealant to inhibit checking. You'll likely get as many opinions on how to slice a burl as there are members on this forum. How big are those suckers, anyhoo?

Highly coveted by the spinny world. In the flat world I would think you could resaw it into some beautiful veneers. They would be small but would make some gorgeous boxes or accents on other small projects.

Edit: Just to clarify its the burl that is usually used and is popular. I don't know about the rest of the tree.

Ray McGrath
04-03-2010, 1:41 PM
The diameter at the burl is 3+ feet, some of the knobs are the size of a basketball.
The wood of the box elder is very light when dry.
I've seen green wood sealer, however I can't remember exactly what it's called.
If anyone else has experience with harvesting and drying burls, please chime in.

Ray

Mike Turner
04-04-2010, 4:41 PM
I use flamed box elder that I purchase from these guys. The red streaks actually come from a beetle similar to the ambrosia beetle I am told..Incredible looking wood !! Check this site out http://powdercreeksawmill.com/

Jarrod McGehee
04-06-2010, 12:25 AM
You could always cut it and send it to me!;)