PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Randall Clark
04-02-2010, 3:02 PM
What do the experts here at Sawmill Creek woodworkers forums do to put identification on their woodworking tools. I thought if I ever had something stolen, how would I prove that it's mine.
Thanks in advance for your ideas.

John Gregory
04-02-2010, 3:13 PM
When I lived in CA (now in Utah) the police suggested your drivers license number engraved on your property.

mike holden
04-02-2010, 3:15 PM
Randall,
The drivers licence number is accessible throughout the country, so it is perhaps the best identifier.
Obviously the worst would be your social security number.

Practically, I dont mark my tools. I have pictures and a list for insurance purposes.

Mike

Victor Robinson
04-02-2010, 3:20 PM
Not likely you'll get them back, but license# makes sense to me.

A good list and documentation is far more important so at least you're covered via your homeowner's or business insurance policy. As a victim of residential burglary I can tell you...the stuff ain't coming back, and I wish my list had been better at the time.

Don Whitten
04-02-2010, 3:52 PM
Randall,
The drivers licence number is accessible throughout the country, so it is perhaps the best identifier.
Obviously the worst would be your social security number.

Practically, I dont mark my tools. I have pictures and a list for insurance purposes.

Mike
Along with the reciepts. Of course I get deals that will never be repeated so I'll only show them as a last resort have to case.

Kevin Gregoire
04-02-2010, 10:45 PM
i just have a complete list i keep on my computer and update it each time i buy
something and have a backup on mem-stick. i list the item, model number, ser
number, date bought and price paid.
then if anything happens i can just forward it to my insurance guy along with pics
i keep of each item i buy.