PDA

View Full Version : Back saw tension?

Adam Woznicki
04-02-2010, 1:47 PM
This past month I've bought my first back saws. The first was a 14tpi Tyzack & Turner No.120 for $30, and the second a 14" Disston crosscut 12tpi I bought yesterday for 50¢ (gloat).

The Disston had a bent back and blade, I think someone rode over it with their bike. But thanks to some older posts here it is now nice and straight.

What I'm wondering about is someone mentioned proper blade tension, is this an issue? how can I tell?

Jonathan McCullough
04-02-2010, 6:26 PM
Tensioning is important for western style hand- or panel saws, rather than for back saws. In a back saw, the back keeps the thin saw plate from warping during use. Back saws are approximately .020 - .030 inches thick.

In a hand saw, the plate at the teeth will probably be .032 to .045" thick, which prevents it from bending during use, but the sawmakers also put tension into the blade with hammer blows. I think Bob Smalser explained it in a "how to straighten a saw blade" tutorial here on SMC. Very informative. But I'm not aware of anyone putting tension into a back saw.

Adam Woznicki
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks mate, guess I won't worry about it then.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2010, 2:17 AM
50 cents?

Now that is a gloat.

jim