PDA

View Full Version : Working with half a deck - or less!

Dale Thompson
11-10-2004, 8:33 PM
Hi Folks,
What's the best way to split a cylindrical object in half (LENGTHWISE smart guy - not ACROSS the grain!) without using a log splitter. :rolleyes:

I've got a couple of miniature bats, about 12" long, that I want to split. Sorry, I made the bats yesterday so I don't remember WHY I want to split them - I just DO! :confused: :eek: ;) I'm looking for my notes but I forgot where I put them. :)

Thanks for any help! :confused:

Dale T.

Bob_Hammond
11-10-2004, 8:37 PM
Could you make a sled and use a bandsaw?

Bob

Ted Shrader
11-10-2004, 8:39 PM
Dale -

How about a bandaw - or do they have to be split? Can you mark the initial crack with a utility knife, then start a wedge or an old chisel?

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
11-10-2004, 8:42 PM
Dale, next time you want to split bats or simliar shapes, glue up two square sides with kraft paper between them so they are easily split after you turn them. At this point, the easiest and SAFEST way to split them is with a sled and the bandsaw as noted above.

Ralph DaFoe
11-10-2004, 9:09 PM
If you really mean split, a froe is probably the answer but the grain better be pretty straight.

Dale Thompson
11-10-2004, 9:19 PM
Thanks Guys,
The sled and bandsaw trick will work fine. The halves are to be used as attachments to a picture frame.

Jim, I'm embarrassed! :o I should have remembered the "split glue-up" thing. I was so engrossed in making the "Babe Ruth" portrait that I didn't see the forest for the bats. Thanks for reminding me!! :)

Creekers, please take notes. I may be asking the same question tomorrow. I'm not getting older. I'm just getting slower and more stupid! :eek: ;)

Dale T.

Michael Stafford
11-11-2004, 7:29 AM
Dale, if I remember correctly the affliction you are suffering from is called halfheimer's. I had the early onset version of this debilitating disease the moment I turned 50. I immediately lost 1/2 of my memory and it seems that each subsequent year I lose 1/2 of what I had left. I may be wrong about that but for the life of me I can't remember...

Jim Becker
11-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Dale, the whole deck is there...but like all of us, you need to check your sleeves for some of the cards occasionally!! :D

Marshall Harrison
11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Or you could the whole deck is there but some of the cards aren't playable.

They say you memory is the first thing to go and I can't remember what comes next. But for me my good looks was the first thing to go (somewhere around the time I got out of diapers).

Dennis McDonaugh
11-11-2004, 1:33 PM
Dale, I can't tell you the number of times I've laid out plans (in my head of course) for a project, then stepped into the shop and got so excited I started right up on step number number 3, forgetting steps 1 and 2. Normally, a little thinkin' will help me get back on track, but a couple of times I had to back up and start over again. Happens to us all.