PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Function Tools (eg feinmaster)

Mike OMelia
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
OK, don't want to start a heated debate...:D

I have a 4x4 section of tile floor that I want to remove the grout from (including edges at walls). Shower stall.

I am hoping I do not have to remove the tile, just regrout.

In my area of woodworking, I have never seen a need for something like the feinmaster, so I am hoping I can just go with the cheapo HF model.

Good enough?

Mike (duck & cover)

Bill Huber
04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
From what I have heard the HF would do fine for that job. There have been a lot of post about it being a good unit.

With that said, I have the Bosch cordless, I got it on sale when they came out. I use it a lot for sanding in those small places that are really hard to get to with a normal sander.

I have also used to cut T track when making jigs for the shop.

Would I buy it again, I am not sure but I do like it and use it.

Mike OMelia
04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks Bill, I think I will get it and the the grout cutting blade.

Mike

Paul Wunder
04-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I recently bought the HF multi-tool with very few expectations. I have since used it for cutting door jambs and trim, removing a 12x12 tile and a few other assorted chores. Impressed. I do not know how long the motor will last, etc., but for the occasional use that I will use it for it was very cost-effective. It really felt solid using it.

Paul

Joe Scharle
04-02-2010, 1:02 PM
I have a Fein and it was expensive compared to the HF. Folks I know have the HF and find it to be a good tool. Northern Tool has one that looks just like the HF.
Whatever you get; price the blades!. Feins are really expensive. In fact, had I known just how expensive and short lived the blades are, I would not have bought it! The blades don't last very long cutting anything. Shower grout may use 3 or more. That stuff is hard.

Mike OMelia
04-02-2010, 1:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the blades. I intend to get some grout blade replacements as well. It appears one comes with the kit.

I did a little searching around and it seems that the HF MFT has more positives than negatives. That is unusual for HF electric tools. I like their air stuff, every bit as good as Borg's and in many cases, aside from paint, you can't tell the difference.

Mike

Victor Robinson
04-02-2010, 1:49 PM
Would an angle grinder not be *significantly* cheaper? Not that I'd ever want to get between a man and his desire for the fanciest tool possible...

EDIT: I did not realize how cheap the HF multitool is. Carry on...

Loren Hedahl
04-02-2010, 2:46 PM
Usually you don't need to remove the old grout to anywhere near the full depth, unless it is cracked and loose. In that case, the job can easily expand with tiles loosening and problems rearing their ugly heads in the substrate.

Where the need is to refresh stained and small areas where the grout is eroded down significantly below the surface of the tile, just a small diamond faced hand saw made for the purpose is entirely adequate. These run under $10 at your local box store and should work fine for a 4ft by 4ft shower stall.

On the other hand, a multi-function tool would work great also. I bought the HF model with the variable speed several months ago and have been surprised a how effective it is. It was inexpensive and the various cutters are very reasonably priced. It is pretty noisy but I haven't used or heard a Fein or other premium tool in use, so I have little to compare it to.

I always have considered my old Milwaukee Sawzall the most valuable tool when remodeling, with the Wonder-Bar in second, but surprisingly I think the HF Multifunction tool might just fall into third place.

So I'm giving you permission to purchase both a HF and a Fein so you can use each, compare them and report back. OK?

Mike OMelia
04-02-2010, 3:47 PM
Just gonna buy the HF... like I said, I have heard no horror stories yet. This thread has been up several hours, and I know for a fact if there were any to hear, I would have by now.

Yes, some of the grout is cracked, I noticed it last week. So I am going to do a full re-grout of the floor to make sure bases are covered.

Any advice is greatly appreciated (I do not do this sort of thing normally)

Pocket full of HF coupons... heading out

Mike

Greg Portland
04-02-2010, 3:51 PM
Would an angle grinder not be *significantly* cheaper?Pricing aside, an angle grinder is very likely to damage the tiles when used for removing grout (unless you are a pro with a very steady hand). The multi-tools vibrate and act like a mini-jackhammer to remove the grout without harming the tiles.

Jeremy Brant
04-02-2010, 4:44 PM
Probably too late on this, but one more option is the Dremel. They make a kit with an angled screw on guide plus the bit. I just bought the bit and had no trouble keeping it guided when I laid my tile and had squeezes out thinset that dried between the tiles (before the grout). It wears pretty well and with the right thickness bit it goes fairly quickly. I'm guessing it might throw the dust a little further than the multi-tool, but I haven't used one of those for comparison.

Ben Franz
04-02-2010, 6:25 PM
To expand the thread scope a little:

Fine Homebuilding issue 209 (March 2010) has an article on these tools. Anyone in the market might benefit from reading it. They rate the Fein best overall and the Rockwell as best value. Blades and accessories are not interchangeable (of course!) and there is a large variation in price in these as well as in the tools themselves.

Mike OMelia
04-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Well... it does not matter as it turns out. There is too much damage for me to do the job. The original contractor screwed up the entire job. Drywall, no backer board. Tons of tiling mistakes. It will have to be done by a pro.

BTW, I bought the upper end tool from HF. It works great! But be forwarned, wear hearing protection.

Mike

Neil Brooks
04-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Also a pretty comprehensive article -- including Bosch, Craftsman, Dremel, Fein (x2), Rockwell.

April 2010 - "Woodworker's Journal"

I'm living without one ... for now ;)