PDA

View Full Version : Finish not drying

Keith E Byrd
04-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I have a problem and need someone to tell me if I messed up and if I did how to fix it. I put one application of tung oil and paint thinner (50/50) on some box elder and it dried quickly. I put a second coat using General's oil and polyurethane mix. After 15 hours or so it is still very sticky. I assumed since General's was an oil and poly mix that it would work well wth the tung oil. Was I wrong?

Howard Acheson
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
What "tung oil" did you use? Was it a real 100% tung oil or one of the faux "tung oil finishes"?

If it was a real tung oil, how long did you allow it to dry. Real tung oil is a very slow drying oil.

What do you mean by "General's oil and polyurethane mix?"

Keith E Byrd
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I used Woodriver 100% tung oil. General Finish has finish called Arm-R-Seal Oil & Urethane Topcoat.
The first applicatioin (tung oil) dried for 24 hours and was very dry to the touch.

Howard Acheson
04-02-2010, 2:33 PM
Pure tung oil, even when thinned, will take 5 or more days to really cure. It can look and feel dry but it has not fully polymerized.

Putting a poly varnish like Arm R Seal over a not yet dry oil can lead to increased drying time of the varnrish.

Try giving it more time. Be sure to keep the temperature above 65 degees.

Keith E Byrd
04-09-2010, 4:08 PM
Thanks Howie, you were right - it just took more time. I actually helped by putting under bright lights and circulating air around it. I think the circulating air around it helped the most.